PDA

View Full Version : Weight Loss Weight loss

Cala1701
01-10-18, 05:40 am
Hi guys i did my weekly weight health check and i was wondering should i worry if my 4 month old lost some weight?
he was 651 g last week and this week he is 629 g?
he doesn't show signs of illnesses , eats fine etc.

Guinea Pig Papa
01-10-18, 06:02 am
An ounce of fluctuation is normal in a guinea pig, up or down. 1 ounce=28 grams.

His weight loss appears normal, but if it continues a downward trend see an exotics vet.

Cala1701
01-10-18, 06:43 am
An ounce of fluctuation is normal in a guinea pig, up or down. 1 ounce=28 grams.

His weight loss appears normal, but if it continues a downward trend see an exotics vet.

Even though he is 4 months? it's still the same as for a normal guinea pig when thinking about fluctuation yes?

Thanks so much I was so worried, I've realised though that he could of ran about the house and forgot to eat more , also weighted him at different time.

Guinea Pig Papa
01-10-18, 06:46 am
Guinea pigs his age should just gain, but they're no different than people. There's always going to be a difference. As long as he isn't losing a lot of weight, and constantly every week, he's likely just fine. If you see a large drop in a week's time, that would be cause for concern.

The best way to weigh him is at a constant. Same day of the week, in the morning before breakfast. I always weigh my boys at around 630-700am on a Sunday morning.

Cala1701
01-10-18, 06:53 am
I weight him every wednesday but I likely did it in the afternoon, now I done it in the morning though & got worried as I thought that young gp are not allowed to lose weight to be honest but that they should just gain. I will check his weight again today in the evening, now he is eating after his nap, I think the cause could be that I did it at earlier time than usually. Thank you again for your help :)

Guinea Pig Papa
01-10-18, 06:54 am
Keep us posted on how he's doing :)

Cala1701
01-10-18, 07:55 am
Quick update, I weighted him at normal time as I always did which is now in the afternoon. His weight now is 667g phew.

bpatters
01-10-18, 09:43 am
Actually, if you really want to track his weight, you should weigh in the morning before breakfast. That's when you'll get the least food and poop inside him. After that, there's no way of comparing what he's eaten today with what he had eaten the last time you weighed him.