Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

cavy carrier

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone.
I was piggy shopping today online and am really in love with this carrier. I would get the large one, which is about 17" by 11" by 11". Then i realized, isn't the floor fabric! They would pee and the carrier would be wrecked. Even with towels underneath, it would still get ruined. Has anyone ever used this carrier and liked it or should i go with a regular plastic one?

RooneysGmom

Cavy Slave
That's looks like the carrier that my daughter got for her piggy (Rooney) and if it's the same one, the floor is not cloth...it's a heavy vinyl and very easy to clean. We always put a small towel in the bottom though just to make it a bit more comfy for little feet....and also to soak up any piddle of course!

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I personally avoid those styles designed for piggies because you can only really fit one pig in. I use a cat carrier and I can fit two in comfortably. You could maybe squeeze 3 into a medium cat carrier but it did cause fights with my guys.

guineapiglvr14

Cavy Slave
I have one of those, I just put a towle at the bottom of it, I can fit two pigs in it.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I hate the cat carriers because the pigs slide around everywhere. Even when you pack the bottom with towels the towels can slide. I have one like this: (broken link removed). It also opens from the top and has a fleece liner on the bottom over a thin wood frame that fits exactly in the bottom. The liner can be taken off to wash but I also put in a towel to keep it from soaking all the way to the wood. So far noone has even peed enough to go through the towel. Mine fits 2 guinea pigs very comfortable and probably 4-5 if I had to and they get along well enough.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
I have one of those carriers. I don't like it much now I have it. Yes, it is cute.. but not ideal. Aswell as soaking up urine they nibble it! I left it out during floortime and they nibbled the bottom of it so now it has a huge hole!:ashamed:

DrkSilence13

Cavy Slave
I have one of those for my rats. The floor is a heavy vinal. I've seen the really big one's at Petsmart. I just put my piggie in the cat carrier...which is actually really big because the cat is big...

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
I made mine a carrier! You get a tub and some mesh and binder clips. Thats all you need.
You put the mesh over the tub and hold it secure with binder clips. You can make it as big as you want or as small as you want according to the size of the tub. A tub with handles on the sides is the best. Here are the instructions and it saves money too:

https://imageevent.com/bizylizy/craftsguineapigfun/carriers/kathyscarrier

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Fluffball said:
IYou put the mesh over the tub and hold it secure with binder clips.
The tub is a good idea but I don't recommend the carrier made from a laundry basket.

When I had to evacuate I was in a panic because I ran out of pet carriers for my animals. I used 2 laundry baskets as carriers and used grids for the tops. They looked like they would work well.

At the second hotel we stayed at during our trip north the 2 foster girls I had kept fighting with each other in the small 2x2 grid cage I set up for them (all the space the hotel room allowed). I seperated them and put one in the laundrey basket carrier for the night. During the night she managed to chew through the sides. Luckily I heard her chewing and struggling to get out and got to her before my dogs did. I put her into one of the airline carriers for the rest of the night. I managed to use another cube to cover the chewed up side. so that they could be safely transported for the rest of the trip.

The GP that chewed through the side later died while in a vet's care. The vet believes it was dehydration and stress, along with the mites she was getting treated for that caused her poor body to just give up. The plastic she ingested could have helped kill her, it surely didn't help her.

When we got to Chicago the rabbit I had just rescued also managed to chew a hole in the side of her laundry basket carrier. Luckily she didn't decide to run to the back of the car with the dogs. Instead she stayed in the carrier, though terrified. I guess she chewed through because she was stressed and felt trapped.

Anyway, the laundry basket carrier would work for short trips but I would not put my GPs or rabbit in one for longer then 15 minutes to half an hour.

I now have plenty of airline quality pet carriers. I'm not going through that again.

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
Thankyou for the warning VoodooJoint!

Im so sorry to hear of your hardships and losses, I read your trip back to New Orleans and what you went through. Being overseas it was unbelievable and both moving. I only use the carriers on short trips, usually I make them a 3x2 square grid cage and secure it with connectors and cable ties for the long trips.

My piggies have never been real big fans of chewing plastic... Ive never had any problems with that luckily! I might contact the site that the craft idea is on and warn them that the piggies could chew through the basket as you suggested they might. I wouldn't want them to ingest the plastic.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Mine aren't big plastic chewers either. An animal that feels trapped or stressed will do a lot of things they normally wouldn't though.

Macayle
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.