Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Austin, TX - Oxbow hay and Cavy Cuisine

cblue

Cavy Slave
Hello,

My name is Christina and I currently have two piggies. I recently ordered hay and pellets from Oxbow. The shipping was so expensive that I decided to buy 50 pounds of each (so that the cost per pound was the least expensive).

OK, I know some of you are already shaking your heads! My order arrived, and of course, there's way more than my piggies can eat while it is fresh.

So, if anyone is in the Austin area and would like to buy some Cavy Cuisine (pellets) or hay, you can have either or both for $2.00 a pound.

My apologies if this post is not appropriate.

Thank you,
Christina

skirbo

Cavy Slave
Just so you know, you can freeze the pellets in zip lock baggies, and the hay will last for a year or so if you store it right. People here will have tips on how to store it indoors, but the most interesting suggestion I have heard so far is mesh laundry bags-hay needs to breathe.

Sarah

cblue

Cavy Slave
Hi, Sarah,

I didn't know about freezing the pellets. I'll try that.

Thanks for the tip!

Christina

Herbie Girl

Cavy Slave
I live in Houston. I too ordered online but just the 5 pound bag. Shipping was $10.00 Wish I were closer or I would buy some hay from you.

becky

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Yes the freezing works well. Also store the hay in a fairly dark, dry, cool place and store it in cardboard boxes and it will stay good for a longgggg time.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
The easiest for storing hay is just to dump it out of the bag into the cardboard box. Keep out of sunlight and the cooler and dryer the better. The cardboard provides a moisture barrier between the hay and the air while still keeping it from being too wet and letting mold grow. Unless of course you let the box get rained on or set it in a water spill. The worst is to store it in plastic but in really humid climates the air can actually put more moisture into well cured hay increasing the chance of mold. In those cases leaving it completely open such as in mesh can be worse(it would also leave quite a mess of little hay pieces everywhere).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.