Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Biting

dawnmb57

Cavy Slave
Both of my newly rescued pigs like to get their faces close to my chin then they lean back to look up at me. I am afraid of being bitten in the face and have read about cavies that do that.

I don't know much about their backgrounds, but they aren't making any noises that I would take as a threat and they don't seem to be upset. How cautious should I be? Is that normal cavey behavior?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Most cavies don't bite. They're probably looking to get under your chin where they feel safer.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
They're probably looking to get under your chin where they feel safer.

You refer to them as "rescues". I suspect that it's normal behavior for them and that their previous owner cradled them on her chest to comfort them and make them feel safe. I have always done this with my cavies and even thought both are grown, they still want to be there. When they are out for lap time, if I am reclining in any way and they are both on my lap, they will compete to see who can get higher under my chin and close to my face. "I can get higher than you and closer to Mommy's face........therefore I am the most important".

When they were small and before they were neutered, they seemed to think that under my chin and on my neck was a great place to warm their cajones!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.