Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Nips in Ear with dry skin

oblessin

Cavy Gazer
Hello all, I recently adopted a new guinea pig for the first time. Her name is Athene and she has been with me for almost a month. I have owned several exotic pets in the past such as different types of parrots, rabbits, and a few other small rodents but this is my first time owning a piggy. I was looking through the threads and I haven't quite found one that answers my question. When I first got Athene, she had a few nips in her ear. All but one of them seemed to be healed over and old. The one that seemed newer wasn't necessarily bloody or red but seemed to have a little bit of a scar. It is just a tiny hole in her ear. It seemed to be perfectly fine and doing well but recently I have noticed a patch of dry skin forming over it. I have a vet appointment scheduled for her on Thursday, but I was worried about mites and wanted to know if anyone thought this might be a mite problem or just the scar peeling off? She has no other symptoms of mites that I can tell and she was seen by a vet and got a good checkup about two weeks ago. Thanks for your help in advance!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

You can rub the site with some cold pressed virgin coconut oil. Be sure to get the cold pressed stuff -- heating it destroys the medicinal properties.

The signs of a mite infestation are pretty insistent scratching and loss of hair. What you describe doesn't sound at all like mites.

Here's some recommended reading material for new piggy owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.