Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea won?t let me hold her I?ve had her since April 2016

baness22

Cavy Gazer
So my piggy was a gift and they got her from petsmart well she used to be super afraid of me wouldn?t watch when I laid it down nothing but since then she said improved she now let?s me pet her if I stick my fingers in the cage (even though it?s open on top she hates when people stick their hand down) anywho, she?ll eat out of my head and even smell my hand and makes noises when she sees me but everytime I try and grab her she runs away but once I grab her to clean or cage or so she? lets me pet her. Also how do I clean her if she won?t let me touch her ? The most I do is whip her bum while she walking around. I?ve never had a guniea pig before so I?m not sure if it?s normal or not.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

You MUST catch her and pick her up! How are you trimming her toenails if you're not catching her? If you haven't trimmed them in the last year and a half, they may be grown completely into the the pads of her feet. If that's the case, get her to a vet IMMEDIATELY and get the nails trimmed. And you can't check her for lumps or bumps that might indicate infection if you don't handle her.

Use a cuddle cup, or a cardboard box (turned on its side) to trap her in the corner of the cage. Then pick her up, put her on your lap, and feed her yummy treats. The way to a guinea pig's heart is straight through its stomach -- so anything you feed by hand will be a help.

Here's some recommended reading for pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.