PDA

View Full Version : Not Eating Critical Care Tricks

PiggyMamaInNC
11-12-17, 08:38 am
Any tricks to feeding Critical Care? It seems impossible. I️ can get it into the syringe, I️ just cannot get it into LuLu! She wants nothing of it! She is eating pellets and cuties hand fed to her, but not much else. We were at an Emergency exotic 40 min from our house for 3.5 hrs last night. They think she has an ear infection. She is extremely wobbly legged, falls over a lot, but is otherwise bright eyed and alert. She was grinding her teeth a lot, so they figured she was in pain. She is on antibiotic and anti inflammatory. Critical Care, too, if I️ can ever get it into her! We have an appt with our reg exotic at 5 tomorrow. I️ called Friday AM for one then, but nothing available, not even work ins. And no exotic on site during reg hrs yesterday. [emoji26]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spy9doc
11-12-17, 09:10 am
Any tricks to feeding Critical Care?

Yes......based on lots of experience. You have to figure out how to position her for both her and your comfort. I always put mine on the kitchen table with left arm (crook of elbow) restraining her from backing away from the syringe, and using the same hand fingers and thumb to open her mouth if she doesn't do it willingly.

Get a 30ml syringe which is usually called a small animal syringe and one which you may find in the kitten or puppy section of a pet store. That size syringe is large enough that you can pour/spoon CC into it without the laborious procedure of trying to draw it up in a smaller one. I'm sure you are aware that the product comes as the regular anise flavor or as apple-banana?

If it is the flavor that she isn't crazy about, add some yummy baby food to the mixture. I believe that Beechnut makes an "organic" line with no sugar added. They have some interesting flavors that cavies seem to like. I mix it about 2/3 CC and 1/3 baby food. That way you can vary the flavor of the mixture from day to day. Sometimes cavies will eat the thickened mixture off a plate, but none of mine ever would do so.

My Chester who was ill for months would happily ingest the CC.....30ml 2x/day. His cagemate was crazy about it (although not ill) and she would smell it on Chester and have her little diva tantrum. I solved that by bring her out with him and feeding her a little while he was eating. And, a little competition helped him be more enthusiastic.

PiggyMamaInNC
11-12-17, 09:17 am
Yes......based on lots of experience. You have to figure out how to position her for both her and your comfort. I always put mine on the kitchen table with left arm (crook of elbow) restraining her from backing away from the syringe, and using the same hand fingers and thumb to open her mouth if she doesn't do it willingly.

Get a 30ml syringe which is usually called a small animal syringe and one which you may find in the kitten or puppy section of a pet store. That size syringe is large enough that you can pour/spoon CC into it without the laborious procedure of trying to draw it up in a smaller one. I'm sure you are aware that the product comes as the regular anise flavor or as apple-banana?

If it is the flavor that she isn't crazy about, add some yummy baby food to the mixture. I believe that Beechnut makes an "organic" line with no sugar added. They have some interesting flavors that cavies seem to like. I mix it about 2/3 CC and 1/3 baby food. That way you can vary the flavor of the mixture from day to day. Sometimes cavies will eat the thickened mixture off a plate, but none of mine ever would do so.

My Chester who was ill for months would happily ingest the CC.....30ml 2x/day. His cagemate was crazy about it (although not ill) and she would smell it on Chester and have her little diva tantrum. I solved that by bring her out with him and feeding her a little while he was eating. And, a little competition helped him be more enthusiastic.

Thanks so much. I will give that a try. She is nibbling pieces of pellets hand fed to her. and cuties. But not nearly enough. I just received the med info from the emergency vet via email. All her vitals were good, and no other weird things seem to be going on. She is such a sweet piggy. I hope she is able to recover. I just feel so bad for her when I see her try to clean herself and she just topples over. Bu then she gets back up like nothing was wrong in the first place.

Darcy

bpatters
11-12-17, 10:48 am
It helps if you make the CC slurry pretty wet, and let it sit for 10-15 minutes before you start. It will thicken up, and you'll have to add more liquid.

If she's really rejecting it, you can use a larger syringe to fill 1 cc syringes, and use them. You'll have to cut the tips off first.

There are some more tips here:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/115000-Handfeeding-a-guinea-pig

PiggyMamaInNC
11-12-17, 08:14 pm
Oh, my goodness! LuLu has made a complete 180 recovery since last night! I️ am so happy!!! I don?t think she is going to need the CC after all! My daughter and I️ went out and bought some baby food for the CC. Since I️ first posted, she has started eating lettuce again, Oxbow treats, pellets, water, and she had been drinking water from her bottle. The antibiotic has totally helped her so much!!! She is still a little wobbly (and she still tilts her head some), but she is walking so much better as well! It is a miracle! I️ totally thought sweet LuLu was a goner last night!! [emoji8]❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spy9doc
11-13-17, 07:01 am
That's terrific! Let's hope that she makes a speedy recovery.