Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New GP Owner!

Tinalala

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!

New GP owner to Chewy and HansSolo, GP purchased for my two daughters this weekend. My eldest daughter is away at college and my youngest a type 1 diabetic is in high school. We have a Living World deluxe habitat and so far Chewy and Hand are doing well. Chewy we got last night and Hans I picked up this morning - same pet store. Chewy is definitely doing very well, almost took food out of daughter's hand tonight. Hans is still a bit squeamish. It's funny cuz Chewy is like the old pro showing him around,

I made a fleece tunnel today for them and I found Hans inside, I figured a perfect place for him to hide and I was right. Right now they have a Medium green fun tunnel, a bend bridge, the fleece tunnel and a to roll filled with hay to play with. Daughter is hoping she can take the, out into the play pen by Friday cuz she doesn't have school. Thank you for letting me join. I look forward to learning from everyone and watching our GPs grow!

ryliem

Cavy Slave
(Please don't take anything 'the wrong way')

The cage is a bit too small for two pigs, so you should look into a C&C cage (It took me a while to finally accept I had to get one and make it. I'm very happy I did.)

You said pet store... maybe next time you get a guinea pig, look for places to adopt :) Adoption is always a better option:)

Other than that, you're all good :)

Welcome to the forum, I hope you make friends and create a great relationship with your Gp's (guinea pigs). Be ready to take these babies as your own, because not all kids will be willing to take full responsibility (Although yours might, since they're older).

If you have any questions post them! Everyone is so nice and you'll get answers soon :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum.

That's not an appropriate guinea pig cage. I'm assuming from the names that they're male (you have turned them over and compared the pertinent parts, haven't you?). That cage isn't large enough for two males -- they need at least 11-12 square feet, and more would be better. The "hidey" at the end only has one door, and that's just an invitation for one pig to trap another and get its face slashed.

Guinea pigs need a large flat space to run, so adding another level doesn't really help a lot, except that you can put the hay up there and sort of keep the cage clean. But the ramp to get there is just another invitation to squabble. Males really do much better with a large flat space on one level.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Tinalala

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the advice. I got the XLarge in hopes that it would be good, but I hear you. Just found out I have wire framed box things like the c&c so I'm going to try to build up in a few months. Right now everyone in my house is saying it's only the second day, but I'm doing some expansion planning LOL!

Tinalala

Cavy Slave
I took your advice and even though we had a playpen, which the little one didn't seem to mind, we put some cardboard boxes together and made a 6 foot floor space which will be extended via tubing to the play pen for added room. image.jpg
We thought it would be a good place for them to play during the day. On my way to get puppy pads and fleece!

also I've removed the 'hidey' in their cage and put the bend bridge there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.