Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Eldest Piggie Acting Weird Yesterday

PiggyMamaInNC

Cavy Slave
Hi, Ya?ll-

I have not posted in awhile, but if you recall, we adopted two female piggies from our local animal shelter two summers ago. Lulu is now almost 3 1/2, and Gracie is 4 1/2. They are not siblings.

Their health has been otherwise very good. They are in a C&C (w/fleece bedding), have unlimited hay & water, and eat 1 cup fresh veggies every day. (They also receive 1/4 cup total of adult dry pellets every day, too.) And both are at healthy weights (tho Gracie is a bit heavier than LuLu. She is the ?Boss Girl,? too, lol!)

Anyway, other than an emergency trip for a hay poke to her eye about a year and a half ago, Gracie has been very healthy; but she started acting a little weird yesterday.

She was refusing all food, hay, water, pellets, and veggies. We decided to keep an eye on her. We cleaned the entire cage, and replaced all bedding. Then she ate a bit of carrot (usually her fave!), but that was all. She also did not want to be held much, and was very eager to leap out of our arms. She stayed in her hut most of the night. Sometimes, she seemed humped in a ball, and she was pretty quiet (she is a very vocal piggie!)

Today, she is back to her old self, like nothing was wrong in the first place. She is eating and drinking normally, she is not humped over, and she is acting fine towards our whole family, and LuLu, too. She also came out to greet me when I went to check on her when I first woke up.

What could have been her issue? I know symptoms of bloat or URIs can be presented in piggies like that. But that?s not something they usually get over on their own, right? Could she have been backed up a bit?

Unless she presents those same behaviors again today, I will prob wait and take her to our exotic vet tomorrow if ya?ll think she needs to be seen.

Thanks-
PiggieMamaInNC
(At least I think that is my user name! You may also call me Darcy. ) [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PiggyMamaInNC

Cavy Slave
Anyone???? Any thoughts????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she seems normal now, the best thing I can advise is to watch her closely. A piggie that doesn't want to do much, won't eat and hunches up is generally indicative of a piggie that isn't feeling well. Since pigs are prey animals, they usually hide illness very well, often to the point that it goes unnoticed until it's too late.

If she's back to her old self, perhaps she had the beginnings of bloat that sorted itself out. If she were my pig, I'd be watching her like a hawk.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.