Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions I need help identifying this clump on my guinea pig please!

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
Iv had my guinea pig for about 4 years now and i have noticed nothing wrong with her until now. I recently did a little health check up like I do and found a clump spot of hair and dandruff. I tried pulling some out and clean it up pretty good but i didnt go any further because the fur tended to go down into her and it looked red underneath. I didnt want to make her bleed or anything and was trying to look up solutions about it and find something but i found nothing on this. I clean her cage often, get her out often, she has a fairly roomy cage and i dont let her outside. Her eating habits are normal as well as everything else. I dont have the money for the vet and am terribly worried about her knowing i cant do anything for her. So can anyone tell me what this might be and how i could fix it? I will post the picture below. IMG_0228.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It would help a lot if the picture were better lit. Can you put her under a lamp and try again?

It looks like either a sebaceous cyst or a folliculoma, neither of which is worrying, but do post another picture.

However, if you don't have the money for a vet, you need to start saving a vet fund. It's not fair to an animal to have it as a pet and not be able to get medical care when the pet needs it. They depend on you for everything, and medical care is just as much a part of responsible pet ownership as food and housing. The question isn't whether your pig will ever need medical care, it's when. And in my experience, it's usually at the most inconvenient time and when you've got the least disposable money. But if you have it set aside, then you know you can take care of your pig.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your quick reply! You are right i should invest in a fund for my piggie. I took some more pictures of it and to be clear it is like its fur or something clobed together that goes in the skin.IMG_0230.jpgIMG_0229.jpgIMG_0231.jpg

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
How can i help her? Will it cause problems for her? I havent noticed a scab on it or anything just a build up of fuz. What should i do my parents dont want me spending money to take her to the vet cuz we just dont have the means to. Please i need to know how i can safely help her.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You don't need to do anything unless it gets a lot larger.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I havent noticed anything yet but i will keep an eye on it. One last question, does it go away eventually?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Probably not. But if it gets larger, or she starts scratching or biting at it, you'll need to see a vet. If she scratches and bites, it will be because it's bothering her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.