Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introduction & seeking advice, pigs not eating pellets

angiee

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!
My name is Angie I joined this forum to really ask for advice on my pigs from REAL LEGIT guinea pig owners. I am 24, I have a 9 year old pug Max, I am majoring in nursing, I own two girls Hamlet (Hammy) and Rhianna (Rhi-Rhi, yes the singer).
I purchased my pigs from the swapmeet (don't hate me lol, I plan to adopt all pets in the future). I got them in April 2017 and Hammy was constantly scratching and had scabs. Rhi Rhi's scratching wasn't that bad and I did the topical Ivermectin thing. Their hair grew back and scabs went away as well as scratching went away.
Fast forward to today, a few days ago I noticed that their food bowl was half way full of pellets at the end of the night. I usually feed them every morning and their pellets are gone by the evening.
Am I doing something wrong? They're eating spinach I feed them cucumbers every so often and apples once in a while and every other day I put them outside in my backyard to graze on grass for about two hours. Their poops are normal. They're just not eating their pellets! So yesterday I went to petsmart and bought Oxbow pellets for young pigs. I was previously feeding them
shopping
these pellets from Walmart.

So far the day is almost over and they were curious in the morning and pecked at it but the bowl is still full. I feed them Timothy Hay each day.
Any and all advice is much appreciated. Have a great and Happy Friday!! I'm glad to be here :) :eek:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The Oxbow pellets are definitely better for them than the ones you've been getting from Walmart.

Pigs sometimes occasionally go off their pellets. It's usually not a problem, as pellets are the least important part of their diets.

But they need a different vegetable diet. Spinach is way high in both calcium and oxalic acid, and should only be given occasionally. Red or green leaf lettuce is a better choice. They need a dietary source of vitamin C, and bell peppers are by far the best for that. When putting them on fresh grass, you should start them for a very short time and work up, as fresh grass can cause bloat, which is a medical emergency.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

angiee

Cavy Slave
Great thank you! I made a grocery trip and they've been eating their leafy greens along with plenty of hay and pellets.

These are my babies:
IMG_4312 (2).jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.