Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth 3rd tooth growing in???

agemus

Cavy Slave
The last time my guinea pig was sick, his tooth fell out but then his new one grew back in and the veterinarian checked it off saying his teeth grew back beautifully and normal. It has been about 2-3 weeks since we have visited the vet. I went to check on my piggie's tooth today just to make sure they're healthy and I see something weird, maybe a 3rd tooth? its growing on top of the tooth that did fall out before, and my family is saying maybe thats the new tooth thats growing in to throw out the old tooth, but i know guinea pigs don't have a second set of teeth. I'll post a picture for y'all to see what i'm seeing. ima also leave a link down below of my old thread with my guinea pig's health background to see if it is any relevancy to this topic.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/116871-Urine-is-Orange?highlight=

Attachments

IMG_4292.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It happens. It may fall out, it may not. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it's being ground down as he chews his hay.

agemus

Cavy Slave
The tooth seems to still be growing but I'm not sure if it's wobbling or not. He seems to be acting the same and his diet is the same so it does not seem to be effecting him. But I am cautious about the length as I don't want this to be a big problem later on. It also seems to be growing crooked. Should this be a trip to the vet?IMG_4316.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You only need to go to the vet if it isn't being ground down by the lower teeth. Sometimes a third tooth is in the wrong place, so it doesn't get worn properly.

The vet can trim it with rongeurs. You can learn to do it yourself, so you don't have to pay to have it done.

agemus

Cavy Slave
How would I know if it's getting ground down? It's just starting to get noticeable when he throws his chin up but it seems to be getting longer to me. Is there a forum on how to trim it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's no forum on how to trim it. It requires a special tool, and you'd have to get a vet to show you how.

It's too long if it's interfering with his eating, or if it pokes his gums/lip on the opposing side.

agemus

Cavy Slave
Great news, we gave him a carrot and the tooth came right out. The new tooth seems to be straightening out as well. Since this is the second time his tooth has broken off, is there any tips to keep his teeth from breaking? He eats plenty of Vitamin C and plenty of wood toys with unlimited hay. I don't know what to do to boost up his teeth health.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Not really. Those third teeth are just really wonky, and a lot of them fall out. And if there is a third tooth, it may affect the stability of the other teeth. The whole issue may clear up entirely, it may not. But it shouldn't require any intervention unless the third tooth comes in at such an angle that the incisors don't hit properly and aren't ground down.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.