Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing: Artemis and Luna!

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Hello all! I hope I am putting this in the right place. If not, mods, please feel free to move it.

I would love for you all to meet the newest additions to our family, Artemis and Luna!

DSC_0183.jpg

They came to us on Monday. Artemis is the beautiful white and grey girl there with the long hair, and Luna is the short haired girl. Artemis is Luna's mummy.

This happened extremely quickly after poor, sweet Crumbs went over the Bridge, I know... Let me give you a little background on these precious girls;

Their previous owner and I have been in contact since April. They were 2 of 7 piggies (kept in different cages, I haven't broken any bonds, don't fear), that the previous owner has been trying to rehome for months, as they are leaving the country. We looked at co-ordinating a few times in the hopes I could adopt, but things kept going wrong. First Crumbs became sick in May, so I had to say no. Then, when we got back in touch again, these two had been homed out with friends of their previous owner. Then the adoptees decided they were too much work and gave them back to the owner. And finally, last Thursday, their previous owner got in contact with me again. I was and still am raw over Crumbs, I thought it would be a horrible disservice to her to consider adopting again so soon. But my other half persuaded me we should go meet them, largely because of this post here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/116699-My-will?highlight= and because not finding a home after 4 months of trying was just so sad.

So we went along Monday night. It was not exactly what we expected. Their previous owner obviously loved them very much, but basic needs weren't being met. All I am going to say.

I hadn't intended to bring them home that day. I was going to go away, think, maybe see how I felt in another week. Crumbs sits heavy in my heart and I was very scared of opening myself up to more loss. I'm still not sleeping properly.

Seeing them and their situation though, an hour after walking through the door, I was walking out again with these two. I could not leave them behind, not for even another day.

They are beyond precious. They have no fear at all, and are desperate for attention. They will run up to the side of the cage and pull themselves up to greet me every time I go in the room. They already wheek and I can reach in and stroke noses. Luna was apparently a surprise pregnancy for the previous owner, she magically appeared three days after they got her. The only baby born! Poor Artemis got very lucky.

We've been told Artemis is 3 and Luna 2. We can't be sure though. I wonder if Artemis may be a little bit older. No way to tell, all we can do is make sure the rest of her and Luna's lives are as good as possible.

Luna looks fit as a fiddle, Artemis is a bit thin. But they were both -extremely- hungry when I got them home. They cleared a bowl of pellets in under 5 minutes. We're going for their health check on Friday, but I think there's nothing wrong with Artemis that some TLC and a good diet will not fix.

Their quarantine cage is a bit of an emergency hodgepodge. The best I could do while better stuff is being shipped, it was an emergency pop up (we were told the C&C they were in could come with us, and I took the grids but they were not fit for purpose on inspection). But it is at least clean and dry and safe, and the minimum recommended space. They have never had this much room before and they are -loving- it. Luna had me beaming last night figuring out what a fleecey forest was. She was so confused by the tendrils trailing over her back!

I still hurt for Crumbs, and Inga, and all my princesses I have kissed goodbye in the last 13 months. I loved them endlessly, always will. They'll always have pieces of my heart.

But Artemis and Luna needed me. Really did. I'm not going into details as I don't know who may be reading this forum. They just -needed- me. So although it's soon I'm sure it was the right thing to do. I am so looking forwards to sharing their adventures with you!

DSC_0178.jpg

DSC_0184.jpgDSC_0187.jpg

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Lovely new babies, and lovely story. Sometimes they find you and you just know, even when it seems too soon. It doesn't make Crumbs any less important, it just gives you two new girls to fill your heart with 15 piggies worth of love! :love: (I read that wrong and thought you said 13 piggies, not 13 months, but I am going to leave it because you have lost a few it sounds like and every time new ones come along your heart just grows to fit them in :love::D)

Last edited:

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Lovely new babies, and lovely story. Sometimes they find you and you just know, even when it seems too soon. It doesn't make Crumbs any less important, it just gives you two new girls to fill your heart with 15 piggies worth of love! :love: (I read that wrong and thought you said 13 piggies, not 13 months, but I am going to leave it because you have lost a few it sounds like and every time new ones come along your heart just grows to fit them in :love::D)

Indeed, it felt as if the stars aligned. That is the legacy my Rainbow girls leave, they give me the knowledge and the love that will trickle down to other piggies in need. We have lost 9 altogether over the years, but 6 of them have been since last July. It's been intensely painful. But giving these little ones somewhere safe and caring to call home I think will help heal the wounds.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Isn't that one of the biggest joys of rescue too? the love is there immediately. You are wonderful to take these two on, and I hope they do help heal the rawness of those wounds.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
I would have taken them all if I could. There was one little girl who I suspected had the same teeth issues as Crumbs, that almost killed me... Apparently there was a lady with her own rescue who was going to visit the others the day after I was there, so I am praying she is in good hands now.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome, Artemis and Luna!

They look like such happy girls in their new home, and I know they'll get all of the love, care and attention that they so richly deserve.

Welcome home, ladies!

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Just remember - you can only do what you can do and that is good enough (says the woman who would have 4 or 5 rescue Cavalier King Charles Spaniels if I could lol, only thing that stops me is the wife)

I will send positive vibes with you that the lady with the rescue is awesome and took the rest of the piggies to safety.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
13221734_1118517591523002_964334946358501782_n.jpg
Here is Apollo looks like we had somewhat the same idea about names

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
View attachment 83391
Here is Apollo looks like we had somewhat the same idea about names

Awww, what a sweetheart! Such a sweet wee face!

I wanted names that connected, as they are mother and daughter, two moon names just seemed to fit for me. We usually tend to have slightly odd or mythological ones, I love giving tiny critters these big, powerful names!

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Photobombing him is his brother Sawyer

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Haha, he wants in on the attention! Do you have a photo of him too?

scoottie

Cavy Slave
15355695_1323415807699845_597460446170711161_n.jpg
Yes, Here he is.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Ah look at that handsome boy! They are gorgeous! (I squee'd aloud XD). Thank you for sharing!

lisa325

Cavy Slave
What a lovely story, I'm glad it all worked out like it was meant to be. I know how painful it is to lose a beloved piggy, but now you have a chance to give these adorable girls the life they deserve. You truly have rescued them, and I'm sure your past piggies are saying "Wtg mom, we love you for taking on these lovely girls who so obviously needed you". Love and good luck to you all ❤️

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Not a problem its like sharing my kids haha.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
What a lovely story, I'm glad it all worked out like it was meant to be. I know how painful it is to lose a beloved piggy, but now you have a chance to give these adorable girls the life they deserve. You truly have rescued them, and I'm sure your past piggies are saying "Wtg mom, we love you for taking on these lovely girls who so obviously needed you". Love and good luck to you all ❤️

Thank you, Lisa. It really was a rescue. I went into it thinking a straight adoption, but it turned out to be much more. I owe it to all my girls, past and present, to give them a wonderful life now.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Awww, they are SUPER cute! Artemis has such a gorgeous coat! And I love Luna's white stripe! Also, love the names, Sailor Moon vibes hehe ;) And it's so lovely of you to give these cuties a home, I know they will be in loving hands.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
I am beyond livid. Just given Artemis a desperately needed bath and found a flea latched to her! A flea! They had a ruddy cat in that house and she ended up with a parasite that as I understand piggies should never ever have!!! She was filthy and matted to dreadlocks around her bum and had that thing feeding off her!

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
To top it all Artemis also has the beginnings of a URI. Caught it fast, straight onto Bactrim, back for a checkup Monday. So so angry. I know being angry doesn't change anything, but it's taking everything I have to not make a furious phonecall to previous owner.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Oh thank God, the others have been surrendered. I've just seen them in the local adoption centre. Thank God. Including the little girl whose teeth I was fretting over. She made it <3

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.