PDA

View Full Version : Help!

DrkSilence13
11-20-05, 07:34 pm
Well, I found out that I'm severely allergic to Timmothy Hay the hard way. I fed it to my piggie and then my throat almost swelled shut. :eek: So...Right now he is eating Alfalfa Hay (I know...bad...but it's very temporary). What can I give him? Any type of Timmothy Hay...even the cubes and pellets have the same effect on me. Any suggestions?
Thank you!

Kriket
11-20-05, 08:35 pm
I think I've read orchard grass can be substituted...but I'm not positive, so don't quote me on it.

Percy's Mom
11-20-05, 09:29 pm
You can give them any type of grass hay. Orchard grass and bluegrass are two other popular choices.

Ly&Pigs
11-20-05, 10:52 pm
Also Bermuda grass hay is pretty good for people with allergies.

DrkSilence13
11-21-05, 10:30 am
Thank you! Any idea where I can buy them? I haven't seen any of these in any of the pet stores (petco, petsmart, pet supplies "plus") up here.

cavy-cool-crazy
11-21-05, 11:27 am
Contact your local farms and feed stores. They may stock other grass hays. Also www.kmshayloft.com (http://www.kmshayloft.com) and www.oxbowhay.com (http://www.oxbowhay.com) sell excellent hays.

aqh88
11-21-05, 06:05 pm
Pretty much any other grass hay is better than timothy. Everyone in my family and my boyfriend are allergic to timothy and Chris and I are allergic to alfalfa as well. We use orchardgrass or bluegrass without many problems. Chris can't feed them directly or his arms break out and he sneezes for a few hours but he can be around their cage full of hay and hold the guinea pigs after they run through the hay without a reaction.

jdomans
11-22-05, 08:14 pm
PetsMart here in Savannah offers Bermuda and orchard grasses. Also wondering if you use gloves would the cubes still bother you? Just an idea.

DrkSilence13
11-22-05, 08:25 pm
Even if I use gloves and cover my face with a cloth it doesn't help. Figures, the only thing I'm allergic to is his hay.

Emmett
12-07-05, 11:37 pm
Well, I found out that I'm severely allergic to Timmothy Hay the hard way. I fed it to my piggie and then my throat almost swelled shut. :eek: So...Right now he is eating Alfalfa Hay (I know...bad...but it's very temporary). What can I give him? Any type of Timmothy Hay...even the cubes and pellets have the same effect on me. Any suggestions?
Thank you!
I wonder if it could be just that batch of hay. It could of been mowed a day when there was a high pollen count or dusty. Could also have a slight amount of mold. They also might of used pesticides. Might want to try timothy from a different source. Just a thought.