Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help!

DrkSilence13

Cavy Slave
Well, I found out that I'm severely allergic to Timmothy Hay the hard way. I fed it to my piggie and then my throat almost swelled shut. :eek: So...Right now he is eating Alfalfa Hay (I know...bad...but it's very temporary). What can I give him? Any type of Timmothy Hay...even the cubes and pellets have the same effect on me. Any suggestions?
Thank you!

Kriket

Cavy Slave
I think I've read orchard grass can be substituted...but I'm not positive, so don't quote me on it.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
You can give them any type of grass hay. Orchard grass and bluegrass are two other popular choices.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Also Bermuda grass hay is pretty good for people with allergies.

DrkSilence13

Cavy Slave
Thank you! Any idea where I can buy them? I haven't seen any of these in any of the pet stores (petco, petsmart, pet supplies "plus") up here.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Contact your local farms and feed stores. They may stock other grass hays. Also (broken link removed) and (broken link removed) sell excellent hays.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Pretty much any other grass hay is better than timothy. Everyone in my family and my boyfriend are allergic to timothy and Chris and I are allergic to alfalfa as well. We use orchardgrass or bluegrass without many problems. Chris can't feed them directly or his arms break out and he sneezes for a few hours but he can be around their cage full of hay and hold the guinea pigs after they run through the hay without a reaction.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
PetsMart here in Savannah offers Bermuda and orchard grasses. Also wondering if you use gloves would the cubes still bother you? Just an idea.

DrkSilence13

Cavy Slave
Even if I use gloves and cover my face with a cloth it doesn't help. Figures, the only thing I'm allergic to is his hay.

Emmett

Cavy Slave
DrkSilence13 said:
Well, I found out that I'm severely allergic to Timmothy Hay the hard way. I fed it to my piggie and then my throat almost swelled shut. :eek: So...Right now he is eating Alfalfa Hay (I know...bad...but it's very temporary). What can I give him? Any type of Timmothy Hay...even the cubes and pellets have the same effect on me. Any suggestions?
Thank you!
I wonder if it could be just that batch of hay. It could of been mowed a day when there was a high pollen count or dusty. Could also have a slight amount of mold. They also might of used pesticides. Might want to try timothy from a different source. Just a thought.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.