Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction Is my piggy constipated?

samsterlacci

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone! My 5 year old piggy seems to be constipated. He was pooping fine earlier today, but I don't think he can poop now. He is drinking water normal, eating hay, and eating his food, he also ate a big carrot today. He seems a little bloated but a little better now. Should I take him to the vet or wait until he poops?

cdbe4c5635c95ac1df4a59d9d63b5f9a.jpg
f63ef0c8ecd9935530b908118533c4bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cavycraze

Cavy Slave
I'd take him to the vet asap. That doesn't look do good.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's called impaction. You need to clean that out ASAP. Somewhere on here there are threads on how to clean it but you need to do it NOW.

samsterlacci

Cavy Slave
It's called impaction. You need to clean that out ASAP. Somewhere on here there are threads on how to clean it but you need to do it NOW.

thank you!!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You're very welcome. Please, let us know how you make out. That can become an emergency faster than you can believe, and looks like it may already be close.

samsterlacci

Cavy Slave
I was able to purchase mineral oil. I removed the impaction that could've been caused through dehydration. I have seen the vet do this once before, and the poop looks similar so that should be a good sign! While I was out at dinner he had made about eight pellets even though he was all impacted. Will count again later but all should be well. Once I removed the poop it looks like his penile area and anus are clean and pink. Thank you for the help!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You're welcome, I'm glad he's doing better. Give us an update in 24 hours or so and let us know how he is.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I doubt dehydration would have been the cause.

Impaction is something that is fairly common in older boars, as they age they lose muscle tone in their anal area and their skin becomes looser so they can't push out the poops like they used to. This can particularly happen if they have some poops that are a little softer. The poops that they can't quite push out get stuck in the anal sac and build up into an impaction plug. Impaction in older boars is almost always a reoccurring issue so this is likely to happen again, and he may even start getting them more frequently as he keeps getting older, so you will need to keep an eye on his rear and clean him out as necessary.

Edit to add: If this does become a reoccurring issue you may find you sometimes find a somewhat green coloured kind of poop that has a strong smell to it in the impaction, these are the half digested cecal poops that they normally re-eat to digest a second time. If he doesn't get enough of these half digested poops his health may start to decline so if you find them stuck in his sac offer them to him so he still has a chance to re-eat them.

Last edited:

samsterlacci

Cavy Slave
I doubt dehydration would have been the cause.

Impaction is something that is fairly common in older boars, as they age they lose muscle tone in their anal area and their skin becomes looser so they can't push out the poops like they used to. This can particularly happen if they have some poops that are a little softer. The poops that they can't quite push out get stuck in the anal sac and build up into an impaction plug. Impaction in older boars is almost always a reoccurring issue so this is likely to happen again, and he may even start getting them more frequently as he keeps getting older, so you will need to keep an eye on his rear and clean him out as necessary.

Edit to add: If this does become a reoccurring issue you may find you sometimes find a somewhat green coloured kind of poop that has a strong smell to it in the impaction, these are the half digested cecal poops that they normally re-eat to digest a second time. If he doesn't get enough of these half digested poops his health may start to decline so if you find them stuck in his sac offer them to him so he still has a chance to re-eat them.

thank you! I will do that. :)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you for adding that, @Soecara. I knew what the problem was and the information was out there, but I didn't get the chance to add it as it's been kind of hectic at my end for the last few days!

samsterlacci

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! Here is the update after 24 hours. He is drinking lots and eating. Charlie seems to be doing well, but please give any insight you may have. Thanks in advance :)
9b8d0ab5b14ceedf87a96e7455fe3d70.jpg
2704b78dd6ac75ded3034a998a92fd0e.jpg
bb8ee8f03c0853c986cef4c55da1a121.jpg

riley.wolf

Cavy Slave
i am new to this site so i'm wondering how i can post question of my own without doing it from a reply?

samsterlacci

Cavy Slave
i am new to this site so i'm wondering how i can post question of my own without doing it from a reply?

Not quite sure on a laptop, I use the 'Tapatalk' app on my iPhone

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Charlie looks MUCH better than he did yesterday, seems to me you did a good job.

That's a pretty good amount of poop in his cage, nice to see fairly normal ones and nothing impacted.

samsterlacci

Cavy Slave
Charlie looks MUCH better than he did yesterday, seems to me you did a good job.

That's a pretty good amount of poop in his cage, nice to see fairly normal ones and nothing impacted.

GREAT!! Thank you so much for sending that article. I have a feeling ill need to start doing this more often but at least I know what to do now :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.