Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bad Breeders rant!

pamziaw

Cavy Slave
Today I got my guinea pigs from my aunt and uncle (they decided to breed them and I decided to get them before i found this forum) but I also got a shock. They didn't sex them properly, they were aware of it and knew that they couldn't sex them properly, asked me to do it (and these are my first ever guinea pigs but I knew how thanks to cavy spirit site) and indeed, I have a male and a female 4 weeks old. They've been in proximatly of each other and their mum for a week now and when I realised I separeted them. I'm so angry at my aunt for not having a clue what she is doing and not being bothered about the outcome. She obviously wasn't bothered that in 6 weeks my new beautiful pig could be dead with her offspring because of her ignorance and incompitance!!! I have the feeling she won't hesitate to breed again and now i'm stuck with a male and a possibly pregnant female. ARRRGGGGHHH! I hate breeders! I don't like to steriotype but this is exactly the kind of stuff that is described on here!

Wow. Have your aunt read https://cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm.

Males cannot be neutered until four months of age, so you are stuck for a while if your femele is (hopefully) not pregnant.

You need to call her and tell her to seperate the rest of the babies. Go to her house if you can and tell her now they could all be pregnant and sex them yourself.

I have all of the babies! There was a litter of 4, 2 died. From reading the lethal sticky I think one of them was as it was blind and deaf and didn't last very long. I've decided that they'll have to take the male (Fudge) back even though he's totally adorable and stuff. I just cannot afford the amount to have him neutered at this stage and can't keep the cage partitioned for long :(. I'm really upset about this especcially since the cousin has been telling me how to look after them and stuff and dictating me wrong info and stuff.

Can you tell your aunt and uncle that if they keep breeding these two pigs, they'll wind up with more lethals? As long as these two roan/dalmatian pigs are breeding, there's the risk of lethals.

Will do my best but I don't think they'll listen. They seem to accept that when they have a litter they're going to have stillborns and deformed babies. Its so sad that people think this way.

I have heard that in the UK it is actually illegal to knowingly breed roanxroan or dalxdal, anthing that can produce lethals.

I'm not certain about this and you may actually want to contact the UK version of the ACBA to check on the laws. If it is true you can tell your Aunt that she is breaking a law and needs to stop breeding.

If they are such bad breeders why would you be returning a pig to them?
Rehome him privately or take him to a rescue, don't just give him back.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.