Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Soft & Long Poop

Noahsmom71

Cavy Slave
Do you think those honey seed bricks can cause soft poop? My Shelby's poop was totally normal when I bought her and going into week 2, I introduced a seed brick for chewing and I added green peppers the day after. She's had really soft and long poop for 2 days now. I took all veggies away and the brick and only have her on hay and pellets. Poor girl! She's 6 weeks old, still eating, drinking and playful. Thinking it's the seed brick as they do not digest seeds well but my previous 3 pigs LOVED them and had absolutely no problems with them despite what I've read on this forum.no other changes to cause her poop issues.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Soft & Long Poop 💩😬

Yes, they can. Honey is far too sweet for guinea pigs. Sugar can cause major digestive upsets, and even bloat.

She also doesn't need a seed brick. Guinea pigs have very narrow throats, and can easily get choked on seeds.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Yes, seeds are not good for pigs, neither is all that sugar. How long have you been withholding the veggies? Is she still eating hay normally?

Noahsmom71

Cavy Slave

It's been a day and a half without veggies and a day without the seed brick and her poop is starting to go back to normal. She's chowing her hay like normal. Thinking of giving back one veggie tomorrow. Your thoughts?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

You could add a veggie back if her poop is normal tomorrow. Otherwise, wait until it is normal.

Noahsmom71

Cavy Slave

Thank you! I've had 3 pigs years ago and they never had soft poop. I wasn't sure what to do. I came home this evening and it's ALMOST back to normal! If it's ok tomorrow, I'll add a veggie. I wish she liked lettuce but I've tried EVERYTHING and she just won't eat it! Baby lettuce, romaine, field greens....nope!

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Absolutely no seed bricks or any kind of pet store treat. They are just junk, a waste of your money, and a way to earn yourself some vet bills. Pretty much all pet stores treats have at least 1 or 2 ingredients that guinea pigs don't even eat or need. Wanna avoid expensive vet bills? Stick to vegetables, fruit, and hay. No matter how much your guinea pig loves the seed bricks, don't feed it. A small piece of fruit 1-2 times a week (no more than that), 1 peaflake everyday, or a small handful of dried/fresh forage every once in a while can be "treats" for her. Guinea pigs can be fed the same thing everyday with little variety and they'll still get excited about their food/treat every time. They don't crave things like we do.

Noahsmom71

Cavy Slave
What in the world is a leaf lake and where do you get it or them?

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Peaflakes? It's dried peas. I don't see leaf flakes in cavy tv comment.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Probably auto-correct.

Yes, they are dried peas and guinea pigs adore them. One per day is plenty as they are fatty. They also contain lysine (an essential nutrient for guinea pigs) which apparently isn't in many veggies or fruits. They are also useful for putting weight on a pig. You can find them on amazon, ebay, your local horse supplier possibly, zooplus, bunnyapproved.com, etc. I'm planning on getting a bag soon.

Noahsmom71

Cavy Slave
Awesome! Thank you! I appreciate the info and new things for my sweet pig to try! I'm still bonding with her and she usually looks to me for a treat when I handle her. So far the only thing I can lure her out with is a Timothy Hay seed pod.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Shiemi loves Timothy hay flowers. Zoe loves taking them from Shiemi but discard them. I haven't found something Zoe loves. I thought pea flakes would be her thing but she got bored of that too. The only thing both definally love are herbs but Shiemi is almost too old for extra calcium.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
You could try carrot. It's okay to feed daily. Most pigs go crazy for it. Carrot is the first thing Flynn will go for when I give him his veggies.

Noahsmom71

Cavy Slave
Awe! Shelby gobbles those Hay flowers like crazy! It's funny because my previous Pigs "Andre & Pete" could care less about them! It's so funny how particular a pig is from one another! Each has their own favorites! Shelby is shy and not exactly easy to take out of her cage, but my Andre came running and purring and popping for a foot rub when he was hanging out in his pen. Shelby is a solo pig, no pig mates, but she gets a lot of attention and I think she likes being the only pig. I'm so glad her poop is getting more normal, I was afraid she was sick!

Noahsmom71

Cavy Slave
I'm glad to hear that! I've read some people on the forum say "no" to daily carrots and Shelby likes the petite baby ones. I don't see any harm in a couple a day with her other veggies! She'll have good eyes at least!����

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.