PDA

View Full Version : Sneezing Nearly constant sneezing

atmomma
08-19-17, 10:56 am
Our guinea pig, Flicka, is sneezing about 3 to 4 times an hour.
She had a URI when we got her from Petsmart. She was treated there and she got a clean bill of health from the vet yesterday (8-18-17) so I went and picked her up right away. I was told she hadn't sneezed in over a week and now its like she can't stop. I've rewashed all her fleece bedding in dye free scent free detergent, moved her cage away from the vent, and switched her hay from western timothy to orchard grass, both Oxbow brand. She isn't showing any other syptoms at all and is eating like a champ.
Is there something else I can do between now and Monday when the vet is open?
Thank you

bpatters
08-19-17, 11:09 am
No. But this time, take her to an exotic vet yourself. You can argue with Petsmart later over the bill, but Banfield vets aren't very well regarded, and most know nothing about exotics.

atmomma
09-16-17, 03:14 pm
*An Update*
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to edit my original post, so I hope posting this way is okay. Also, thank you for your reply bpatters!

I was able to contact the vet that cared for Flicka through Petsmart. Believe it or not, it was an exotics vet that works through the same office as my dogs vet. They gave me a prescription for a generic brand of Baytril on the day of the eclipse. We finished out that round (all 10 days of it) and things looked good for a few days. There was an occasional sneeze but nothing worse. Then both Flicka and our other female, Foxxy, started sneezing up a storm along with occasional coughing. Flicka even started whistling a little when she breathed. Their noses and eyes were clear, they had great appetites, and were just as playful as ever, but I made an appointment right away with our vet. She (the vet) heard both girls sneeze and Foxxy cough, but by that time the whistling had stopped.. After checking them over she said she didn't hear anything in their lungs and that both appeared to be healthy, but the cough made her think it could be Bordetella, so she prescribed them both 10 days of Baytril.

We're now on the last day of that prescription and they are still sneezing about twice a day or so, with a cough thrown in when they eat too fast. I'm starting to wonder if I'm just being paranoid about the sneezing, but we're looking to add two more pigs in the next month or so and I really want out current girls to be healthy before doing so.

Are there any thoughts or suggestions on what I might be able to do?

bpatters
09-16-17, 04:57 pm
For starters, you could get them from a rescue that has quarantined them for three weeks to be reasonably certain that they aren't ill. Pet stores are notorious for selling pigs that are ill, parasite-ridden, mis-sexed, and the baby sows are pregnant.

atmomma
09-16-17, 05:06 pm
The new girls will be coming from a family member that is moving and can no longer keep them. I should have mentioned that. I'm sorry. I'm currently researching everything I'll need for quarantine and introductions, but still want to get my current girls healthy once and for all.

For starters, you could get them from a rescue that has quarantined them for three weeks to be reasonably certain that they aren't ill. Pet stores are notorious for selling pigs that are ill, parasite-ridden, mis-sexed, and the baby sows are pregnant.

atmomma
10-29-17, 08:54 pm
*An Update Again*

After a third round of antibiotics (Baytril and Doxycycline compound) that lasted three weeks, the sneezing has finally stopped. The vet thinks that Flicka may have an underlying recurring viral infection. She says there isn't really a test or xray that she can do to tell us if that is the case. While she is an"exoctics" vet, I fear guinea pigs are not a specialty for her, or any other vet in my area, for that matter.
Anyway, Flicka is back to her normal ,playful, hungry self and my daughter couldn't be happier. Her cage mate, Foxxy, has been sneeze-free since the first Baytril round.