Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Guinea Pig Help!!

PJJGP

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig Paisley (she's about 2 years) has has some hair lose around hers eyes. She had a fungal infection when I first got her so I know what that looks like and it's totally opposite. There's no white flaky stuff and she just doesn't seemed bothered by it at all. I think it's fur mites? I was going to get Ivermectin to treat them topically but I don't know how to go about that...any help would be greatly appreciated. (And I looked on Guinea Lynx and it just confused me..)

Also sorry that the pictures are so blurry..she wouldn't be still!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PJJGP

Cavy Slave
This are her eyes
350fa77465effe94c26b1691d9fb0b83.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she had mites, she'd be scratching. Mites don't usually start around the eyes, and fungus doesn't always have white flaky stuff or bother the pig.

That's pretty classic looking fungus. I'd start with Lotrimin or Nystatin, applying it with a q-tip sparingly around the eyes and being very careful not to get any in the eye. If it gets larger, or the hair doesn't start to grow back in about a week, you can switch to a triple antibiotic ointment. You'll also have to be careful about the eyes, but also to rub it in well so she doesn't get it on her paws and ingest it when she's cleaning herself.

Skin lesions can be hard to diagnose between fungus and bacterial infections. Generally, you start treatment for a fungus first, because an antibiotic can actually feed a fungus, whereas the opposite is not true.

PJJGP

Cavy Slave
If she had mites, she'd be scratching. Mites don't usually start around the eyes, and fungus doesn't always have white flaky stuff or bother the pig.

That's pretty classic looking fungus. I'd start with Lotrimin or Nystatin, applying it with a q-tip sparingly around the eyes and being very careful not to get any in the eye. If it gets larger, or the hair doesn't start to grow back in about a week, you can switch to a triple antibiotic ointment. You'll also have to be careful about the eyes, but also to rub it in well so she doesn't get it on her paws and ingest it when she's cleaning herself.

Skin lesions can be hard to diagnose between fungus and bacterial infections. Generally, you start treatment for a fungus first, because an antibiotic can actually feed a fungus, whereas the opposite is not true.
Where can I get those medicines? I read that fungal cream for athletes foot can help it but I don't want to risk anything. She's my baby and I obviously don't want to hurt her. I can't get her into a vet right yet so is there any medicines I can buy in a store or offline even? Thanks for your reply! It made me worry a lot less[emoji4]

Pitterpatter

Cavy Slave
Where can I get those medicines? I read that fungal cream for athletes foot can help it but I don't want to risk anything. She's my baby and I obviously don't want to hurt her. I can't get her into a vet right yet so is there any medicines I can buy in a store or offline even? Thanks for your reply! It made me worry a lot less[emoji4]

You can get the lotrimin from walmart

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

PJJGP

Cavy Slave
You can get the lotrimin from walmart

Thank you!! I'll get it today. I just apply a small amount on to her eye and rub it in good so she can't wipe it with her paws? Will it hurt her if it accidentally gets in her eye? (I'm confident it won't because I had to apply cream to her eye when she had her first fungal infection)

Pitterpatter

Cavy Slave
Thank you!! I'll get it today. I just apply a small amount on to her eye and rub it in good so she can't wipe it with her paws? Will it hurt her if it accidentally gets in her eye? (I'm confident it won't because I had to apply cream to her eye when she had her first fungal infection)

I would just be real careful not to it would probably burn if you did

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't get it in her eye. If you're not comfortable doing that, see a vet for something that won't harm her eyes.

You can buy those meds at any pharmacy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.