Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Alternative cages

Jadyn

Cavy Slave
My dad won't let me make a c and c cage so what are the mesurments that a pet store cage needs to be for 2 female guinea pigs? In inches or square feet please! And I've talked his ear off about how much better and cheaper they are so if you could send me pictures of yours and tips to help me convince him!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No pet store cage is large enough for two guinea pigs.

You can build a C&C cage for almost no money. Grids are often available for free or little cost on Craigslist or Kijiji. Political signs are made out of coroplast, and you can often find old ones that you can use. Sign companies also goof up printing occasionally and will let you have pieces or little or no cost. See https://www.guineapigcages.com for information on how to build your own.

Even if you buy the materials new, you should be able to build a 2x6 cage for less than $50.

See the Photo Gallery on this site for thousands of pictures of C&C (and other) cages.

lissie

Cavy Slave
If you are in UK, there are some pet store cages that are large enough.

The recommended size cage for two pigs is roughly 30x50 inches.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
You could hook together two or more Midwest guinea habitats. Those are technically pet store cages.

sonsofpiggies

Cavy Slave
The Midwest guinea pig cage is actually on sale right now on petsmart.com for 27 dollars!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
One pig needs at least a 2x3 (28in.x42in.). A Midwest should be okay for 2 females, but you never know... they could have completely different personalities, and maybe even both will want to be the boss, and they'll only get along in a very large space. I'd say to shoot for a 2x5 (28in.x70in.) at the very least.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We do NOT recommend Midwest cages. They're not large enough for one pig, much less two. See the Main tab at the top of this page for information on recommended minimum cage sizes.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
A Midwest PLUS is 47 in. x 24 in. That's 4 inches more narrow and 5 inches longer than a 2x3. If you were to get TWO Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat PLUS cages, then I think it would be okay for 2 pigs, however, going the C&C route will allow having a wider cage and a wider cage is known to work better when it comes to keeping pigs together peacefully, especially for boars. Also, buying 2 Midwest Plus cages will be expensive and I can promise you you can get something much bigger, in C&C cage form, for much less. Just something to consider.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.