PDA

View Full Version : Hi everybody! Introducing new pigs

theycallmemrpig
08-11-17, 06:51 pm
So about a month ago I brought home a very young guinea pig from a local garage sale. They had 3 babies but two of them were "on hold" while the new owner went to get a cage. I fell in love with the tan and white one who the family claimed to be a girl. I really didn't believe them since I knew sexing small pets is difficult. I quickly found out after buying and setting up a c&c cage that she was small enough to walk through the grids, lol. So she spent about 2 weeks in a temporary set up but I finally put her back in the c&c setup. She was very shy and not that active so I decided I was going to get her a friend since I heard that helps. Well I could not for the life of me figure out if I had a boy or a girl. I posted pictures on a facebook group and got mixed answers too. So early this morning I went to the pet store to get parrot food because I had a really good coupon. They had a piece of paper up advertising guinea pigs for adoption. I asked about the sign and they said that they were between 6-8 weeks old and free to a good home. They were separated by gender so I immediately asked the lady if I brought up my pig if we could compare them to find out her gender once and for all. So anyways now I have two female guinea pigs that are both around 8 weeks old. I decided to introduce them on my bed since Carmel never has been in my room so it won't smell like her. Things got pretty intense at first so I moved the party into the bathroom and gave them a bath with a mild shampoo. They diverted their attention from freaking out on each other to trying to stand on each other to get away from the water... with no protesting. Then I let them dry off on the landing to my stairs. They spent about 20 minutes cleaning themselves and inching closer and closer. At this point I gave them some greens and some timothy hay. I rubbed them both down with it too. Now they were near each other with no real problems. I gave them 10 more minutes while I changed the fleece bedding and wiped down everything in the cage. I put them in together and that was about 2 1/2 hours ago. There has been no bloodshed or too much drama. Mocha (the new one) appears to be submissive to Carmel (the first one). They go from doing their own thing to mildy chasing each other around while making weird near constant bird like noises. They have eaten a ton of veggies and hay in the last 4 hours. I'm slowly beginning to believe they are not bullying one another and that they are just getting to know each other. I'm going to keep an eye on them though. I don't want them killing each other. Does anyone know the rule of thumb as to when it is safe to say they are fine together?

bpatters
08-11-17, 07:46 pm
Welcome to the forum! We'd love to see pictures of your pigs.

Just as an FYI, you'll get far more responses to your posts if you'll break them up into shorter paragraphs. Most people won't read a wall of text.

CavyTV
08-11-17, 08:46 pm
Welcome!

I'm so glad you found a friend for Carmel. To start off, you should familiarize yourself with the normal dominance behaviors. Many people, unfortunately, separate their pigs when in reality they were doing perfectly fine. The owners either overreacted or didn't really know that what their pigs were doing was normal. Each pair/trio/group is different, some may display more dominance behaviors than others. Some will do it all the time for the rest of their life, and some will only do it in the beginning and start to calm down as they get older and mature. As long as there is no blood don't separate. If they are eating, running laps together, following each other, or sleeping near each other, they are getting along just fine. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

See this link for dominance behaviors: http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Also, I'd really recommend having 2 of everything in the cage - 2 water bottles, 2 bowls for pellets if you feed them... or just for veggies, 2 hideys (more is better), and definitely 2 separate feeding areas, preferably at opposite ends of the cage. This will lower the risk of them "fighting" over something, like a water bottle for instance.

How big is your C&C cage?