Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Finally 2 levels!

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
Well after putting aside a ton of grids for the longest time, I finally found some time and patience to build a new cage. Now that Momo has come around, in a few weeks him and Nismo will be introduced and I realized they will be needing a little extra room to run and hide in case they don't feel like talking to each other, haha! So bought a ton of zip ties, I took of all the connectors, I re-did the first leve with zipties and I added the second level. Now my problem, Nismo won't go anywhere near the ramp. I tried putting him on the top level, he couldn't get down. I decided to put him in the middle of the ramp so he could see there was nothing to be scared of. Well he got down fine, but he still wants nothing to do with the ramp. I need some ideas to get him to learn to climb the ramp without freaking him out too much

Da_3_mad_pigs

Cavy Slave
Looks great!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
That's a great looking cage - looks stylish :)

Put some fresh hay on the upper level, alongside vegetables. That will make him run up there. Alternatively, you can put a "lid" over the ramp so that it becomes dark. He'll feel more secure running up there - even a towel draped over the ramp would work.

Lacy&Buttercup

Cavy Slave
I love it, especially your choice of fleece! It looks so neat with zip ties.You're giving me ideas! I've been wanting to add a loft for quite some time myself.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Mine would have nothing to do with their ramp at first either. I moved all the hay up to the upper level and that took care of it real quick.

Last edited:

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
Oh, it's lovely! I love your teddy bear fleece :)

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
Very Nice design. It looks so clean and uncluttered. Lots of room for a good romp.

When I first looked at the second floor, for a fraction of a second, I thought you have teddy bear cookies on the floor. Can't tell I am hungry, huh? Hee Hee.

Great Job. I love it.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I can tell you why he doesn't want to go up that ramp. It's a little too steep. If you take the two bent grids and put them end to end and zip tie them instead of overlapping them, it will not be quite as steep and he may venture up. If he still won't go up the ramp after you change it, then try placing a good sturdy cardboard box with both ends cut out under the lower end of the ramp so that the ramp rests on the center of the box and that will also help it not be so steep.

Other than that, the cage looks wonderful!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Yes, the ramp may be an issue. Also, hide a treat or something up there.

Sprite was the only one who'd venture up at first, then the others quickly followed.

Lisser

Cavy Slave
Is there enough room for me to move in? I'd love to have a house like that!!!

Great job.

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll play around with the ramp this week to try and make it less steep. Last night I tried coaxing him with a baby carrot, and it was working, he got about halfway up the ramp, when he realized he was going up, and turned around and ran back down hehe. He looked at me like "Silly mommy was trying to trick me!"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.