Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Where Silk Comes From

Tatalp

Cavy Slave
Well, today was a family reunion. I went to my cousins' house out in Maryland. I didn't know that they farmed soybeans there, but apparently, that's what they do! 60 acres of them:cool: Well, since most of the plants were already harvested, we got to drive through the fields. I got to drive, which was fun, because I won't have a permit for 3 years! But its private propery, so it's not illegal!lol

Well, my uncle also showed us the machine that harvests the soybeans(I forget the name). It was really neat to know how it worked. The plants are first cut by the front of the machine, and they go up the "throat". They are then put in this canister that removes the seeds from the pods, and the pods are spit out the back to fertilize the fields. Apparently there are all types of soybeans, and while most taste nutty, the un-nutty ones are used for humans. The rest goes as cattle feed. My unclue says he breeds different types of beans from all over the world to see which ones taste the best.

He also told us how soy milk is made. The dried seeds are crushed up into a very fine powder. They are then mixed with water(Soy milk is about 18% soy) and voila! Soy milk! Apparently, his soybeans go to making Silk Soy Milk, especially the Very Vanilla variety. So, now maybe you know a little more about here your soy milk comes from.;)

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
Wow, cool! One of my friends' coworkers farms soybeans for White Wave too! I love Silk, but prefer 8th Continent's Lite because it isn't quite as thick. It has the consistency of skim milk, and I've been able to cook & bake some with it :) (and it's usually a little cheaper)

But there's nothing like adding Chocolate Silk to a cup of chai to end end the day... MMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Tatalp

Cavy Slave
Wow, the chai and silk sounds good! I don't drink 8th Continent becuse one of the ingredients in it(vitamin D, I think) is from an animal source, so it's not vegan. I think it's kind of funny, because if the just hanged the source for the vitsmin, they would have a much bigger group of consumers.

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
Ahhh, I didn't know that! My diet choices are based on health concerns right now, and I haven't quite decided how I feel about going completely vegan. I think that until I can master vegetarian though, the point is moot.

However, I will have been dairy-free for a full year as of next week. It's a step!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.