Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Another wonderful caviary...

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
Hi Guys,

Just thought this was rather interesting...
Isn't their a high chance the pigs could fall out of most of these cages???
Sure one to a cage...but three or four!:grumpy:

(broken link removed)

*~jess~*

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
Yeah, mine would leap out without a second thought. Maybe they have a rare & formerly unheard-of uncurious & non-jumping breed of guinea pig?

Never mind the whole breeding "thing," I can't imagine having that many piggies. Just the thought of that much poop-scooping is making me cringe!

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
:sad: These pics have been posted on a different thread I think.. but that was quite a while ago. It's horrible, isn't it:(

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I feel bad for the hamster they put down. It was just being a hamster and doing hamster like things.

guineapiglvr14

Cavy Slave
Look at all those tiny "cages" they are not really cages!!! If I were one of those guinea pigs, I sure would jump out.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Here's my few cents on the comments written on that page.

The question of "Don't the cavies jump out." is definitely the most common question asked when people visit my caviary. And the answer is "No" They seem to know their limits and have no desire to leave the security of their cages although they do like to "hang out!" (Quoted from the site)

They don't jump out because the glorified litter boxes they live in have killed any will and skill the animals might need to jump out. The fact is, with that amount of room, they won't be fit enough to jump out, even if they wanted to.

They don't even have a house to get away from it all - apparently because "there was not enough room to deliver" babies. It's a pity she didn't re-assess and decide that it might have been the overall space that was the problem. To put a house in those cages would be like trying to fit a human in a cupboard in a cupboard (yes, that was intentional). "They can not be as easily observed for signs of illness if they hide in houses" - so the way that they are assessed for illess is how they behave in their cage? "Houses can trap ammonia fumes" - only because with a cage that size, the cavies have the joy of lying in their own urine and faeces all day long. They have no option to choose another area as their toilet corner.

"Wooden stove pellets" are used as bedding. Most people who own a wood burning stove or open fire in their house will know that these often have wood oils added for that authentic fire smell.

On the other hand, the cavies look healthy. If only looking healthy were everything.

thecarerescue

Cavy Slave
Eeek! What a boring environment.
The pigs wouldn't feel very secure in those tubs - and no place to hide either.
I think of how these pigs can be just "stock" and not pets to these people, and seeing them on shelves like that really does look like they are just belongings.
I hate those metal cages, remind me of lab cages.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
It looks like a giant breeding frenzy. She's got about 98347593847539487 different breeds going on, including roan and dal, and she just seems to be breeding willy-nilly.

__ben

Cavy Slave
does anyone know how they would clean the up and down stack cages, I cant figure it out?

Katie

Cavy Slave
daftscotslass said:
"Wooden stove pellets" are used as bedding. Most people who own a wood burning stove or open fire in their house will know that these often have wood oils added for that authentic fire smell.

On the other hand, the cavies look healthy. If only looking healthy were everything.

Hey now... I use wood stove pellets. I buy a brand from the Home Depot. They are 100% wood with no added chemicals or accelerants. You can't tell a difference between the ones I use, and Feline Pine. Some brands are perfectly fine and I know a few rescues that use them.

Johanna

Cavy Slave
Notice that there arent any pictures of the pigs out of their cages. The probably never leave those jail cells. They are born in them and die in them.

smoot

Cavy Slave
My pigs would be out of those pans in a second! (Whoever said guinea pigs can't climb hasn't met my Baby.) She climbs all over me as if I were Mount Grandma.

I hate those metal cages, remind me of lab cages.
The plastic pans make me think of bakery racks for some reason. The whole thing gives me the heebie-jeebies. I'm sure the person who owns all those pigs will say they're all healthy and such, but there is no way anyone can have one-on-one interaction with 100 guinea pigs every day.

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
Ewww! All those pigs next to the KITCHEN?? Eww!
Too many pigs. They're all squished together in those little boxes. They look like they're going to topple off!

cavywench

Cavy Gazer
Eeek! What a boring environment.

I so agree. They have nothing to occupy their time, not even a freaking hidey house. What an existance to just sit, nowhere to run, nowhere to popcorn - not like they would in that hole. This is so sad.

CarrieBrianne

Cavy Slave
Gaah the human equilavent to that would be being trapped in a bathroom with 2 other humans. How terrible!

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
I was thinking more along the lines of a closet, but not a nice walk in one... more like one that 2-3 people cramp into during a game of hide and go seek. Accept those pigs never get to come out... :mad:

SleepyBirdy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Access

Cavy Slave
Can someone explain the terms like 'broken' and 'roan'? I thought roan was its own breed but he uses it like an adjective. Can any breed be a 'roan' (and hence in danger of lethal offspring)? Also what does it mean when he refers to his cavies as 'broken'?

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
"broken" means they have colored and white hair that isn't in a recognized pattern (like tortoiseshell and white, or dalmatian, or himalayan). "roan" means they have mixed white and colored hair and have the roan gene. A roan could have any other combination of genes, so you can have roans of any color. Obviously this can be a problem if you have a PEW roan, because you have no idea whether it's a roan. Same goes for himalayan, or any other pig with a lot of white.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Access said:
Can someone explain the terms like 'broken' and 'roan'? I thought roan was its own breed but he uses it like an adjective. Can any breed be a 'roan' (and hence in danger of lethal offspring)? Also what does it mean when he refers to his cavies as 'broken'?

Broken more or less means that breed-specific colouring such as the white crest on an American crested is "broken" by other colouring i.e. a poor mix of more than one breed. I think, at least.

Roan, however, is a specific colouring with intermittent "ticks" of colouring. Roans can be long or short haired and hence I would call it more of a colour than a breed. The long-haired pig hanging over the edge of the tub in the last pic of the above link is a roan.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.