Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage placement trouble! Or alternative cage?

Krymle

Cavy Slave
I have finally figured out the bedding/hay problems i had earlier, thanks to you guys. .. Can i ask for your help one more time? :rolleyes:

07a5649091922da8f875a76b7da96b7f.jpg

This is my room. As you can see, i have rats. 3 males. :D I am hopefully gaining a pair of female guinea pigs in maybe august, maybe september. The sooner the better for me.. just have to be ready. No, i dont have the cage right now - or the table. That is just to show what placement i had in mind. :)
Now, i let the rats have freeroam of my desk for playtime. While i play with them or am gaming. ;) I spend 95% of my time in my room - when i am not working or with friends. So i like to have my pets with me right where i can enjoy them the most - on/by my desk. its so easy and fun to just turn my head and get a peak at whatever they are up to.

Buuut - if i get a c&c cage, the grids will definitely be too huge, the rats could slip right through, even Magnus, my biggest rat. So if i chose a c&c, i would have to baby-proof permanentely. With a lid. That had to be double/babyproofed as well. The rats could still climb the guinea pigs cage, so is this even okay? wont it stress the guinea pigs? Because i am from denmark, the only way i can acquire a c&c is from candcguineapigcages.co.uk. With the 2x4 cage i want, and the ekstra grids needed to babyproof the total would come to 181 usd.. I mean, that is a bit expensive. If it really gets down to it, and this is really still the best option, i will do it.

So.. even if i babyproof, is it enough?
Do i have to put the cage somewhere in the room where the rats have no chance of getting to, even with babyproofing? I wont be able to enjoy the pigs as much, with them out of sight..
Maybe i should do a plexi-glass type cage(low enough walls to not be harmful), but still with some kind of lid?

Other options are finding someplace else as a play area for the rats. But i like them having free-roam of the desk while i sit with them. Its so convenient as well. They can zoom in and out of their cage as much as they want to.

Any ideas? :confused:

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
You could plexiglass the long side of the cage (along your desk), and the lid. I don't think that would be a problem. The only concern would be ventilation, but I can't speak for exactly how much would be needed.

Another option would be to use plexiglass along the edge and go high enough to prevent rats from crawling over / into cage. But I'm not sure just how well rats will climb plexiglass or if they could be easily train to stay off the GP cage.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Krymle

Cavy Slave
Rats are pretty agile. I think they would just jump on top. Magnus once got over a 70cm tall cardboard play area i made..

But as long as it doesnt stress the guinea pigs..

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
The stress factor I can't speak to.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.