Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick I am too paranoid to tell if he is actually sick

McBarnacles

Cavy Gazer
Hello. I have a boar, Cocoa and he is thought to be around 2-5? I'm really paranoid and I honestly can't tell if he is actually showing signs of sickness or if I'm just worried. His eyes might be slightly receded? He seems like he might be eating slower but I can't tell. He is definitely playing and wheeking as normal though. I've posted a video of 5 minutes of his time in a timelapse. It was taken at night though, usually when the lights are out and he is (probably) asleep. Please help me. I'm so anxious and worried that I can't even tell if he's sick. Here's the video
https://youtu.be/11oe__8uZlY

Edit
i took another one
same time
https://youtu.be/W2XEI4g4d_E

help me please please please

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is he losing weight? If you're concerned that he's sick, you should be weighing every day, same time of day, and preferably in the morning before breakfast.

Is he eating as much as normal? If not, how is what he is eating different than normal?

Is his poop normal?

Is he drinking/peeing normally?

Is he puffed up in pain? Sitting with his nose in a corner? Hiding under something and refusing to come out?

Is his nose running? Is he sneezing?

You need to get yourself under control. You can't help him if you can't even assess whether or not he's ill. You need to make note of how his behavior and diet are different than they usually are, and then maybe we can help you figure out if something is wrong.

McBarnacles

Cavy Gazer
Is he losing weight? If you're concerned that he's sick, you should be weighing every day, same time of day, and preferably in the morning before breakfast.

Is he eating as much as normal? If not, how is what he is eating different than normal?

Is his poop normal?

Is he drinking/peeing normally?

Is he puffed up in pain? Sitting with his nose in a corner? Hiding under something and refusing to come out?

Is his nose running? Is he sneezing?

You need to get yourself under control. You can't help him if you can't even assess whether or not he's ill. You need to make note of how his behavior and diet are different than they usually are, and then maybe we can help you figure out if something is wrong.
He is losing some weight but he is still in his own range
he is drinking and eating normally
i cant tell if he is puffed. sometimes he puffs in anger and when he is sleepy
he is not sneezing or runny, but i think he coughed yesterday. im pretty sure he was just eating hay too fast though.
his poop seems normal, pee is definitely normal.
im sorry im such a disaster. im anxious and tired. thank you for your help ❤️❤️

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How much weight has he lost? And over what period of time? Are you actually weighing him, or just eyeballing it? Because if you're just guessing, it's pretty useless for diagnostic purposes. A good kitchen scale is the best piece of medical equipment you can have for a guinea pig.

McBarnacles

Cavy Gazer
How much weight has he lost? And over what period of time? Are you actually weighing him, or just eyeballing it? Because if you're just guessing, it's pretty useless for diagnostic purposes. A good kitchen scale is the best piece of medical equipment you can have for a guinea pig.
He has lost maybe 100 grams but very very gradually, only 5-10 grams every week. i think my scale might be faulty. it sometimes weighs the same object as different weights, even when it is still so a squirming piggie.... anyway, I'm pretty sure the weight loss is normal for him because he lost some weight last summer, then got flubber in the winter.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Take an object in your home that doesn't change weight, weigh it, and record the weight. Use it to check the weight of your scale every week.

What exactly does he eat? What kind of hay? Is it always available?

What brand of pellets, and how many?

Which veggies, and how much of each?

McBarnacles

Cavy Gazer
Take an object in your home that doesn't change weight, weigh it, and record the weight. Use it to check the weight of your scale every week.

What exactly does he eat? What kind of hay? Is it always available?

What brand of pellets, and how many?

Which veggies, and how much of each?
ive taken him to the vet. They said he might have a parasite or infection and gave him shots for them. They gave me some antibiotics and supplements to syringe feed. If he gets better in a day, then chances are looking up. If he doesn't, it's too late. We'll see what happens. Right now he is lots better, the injection they gave him has helped tons. He is eating and is warmed up.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You should know that antibiotics often cause pigs to totally lose their appetites. But they MUST eat, or they'll die. If he stops eating, be prepared to force feed him with a syringe until his appetite returns.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.