Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Sam is Squeaking while Pooping

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
My male guinea pig (1.5 years) has been squeaking while pooping occasionally for almost a year. We have taken him to the vet several times and they asked if he was eating normally and active which he is, and they said he was fine. His poops are also normal. Several weeks ago they said maybe make sure that he gets more water so we got an extra water bottle because the other guinea pig can get territorial of the other one. They aren't using the new water bottle but they still both drink water.

We treat them very well. They have regularly changed fleece bedding and a large 2x6 cage. We give them green or red lettuce daily as well as other vegetables and small amounts of fruit according to this website.

We are thinking maybe we should go to a more knowledgeable vet. We live in Riverview, FL 33569. Any suggestions on their condition or the vet? Thank you, we really appreciate it. 20170507_092028_1494163229848.jpg

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Take him to the vet and ask for an xray he could have bladder stones.

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
Ok, thank you for the reply. They don't have to put them under anesthesia for an x-ray, right?

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Shouldn't have to be put under for an x ray.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It depends on the pig as to whether they need anesthesia for an x-ray. If they stay still, then they don't need it. If not, they do. But they just "whiff" them under for the x-ray, and then they're right back awake again. It's not like anesthesia for surgery.

But if your vet hasn't suggested an x-ray in all this time, don't go back there again. If you google "exotic vets tampa florida" (without the quotes), you'll find some exotic pet practices. That's what you need.

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
Thank you again for more detail. We have called a few exotic vets in Tampa and all have said they can not perform an x-ray unless the new veterinarian examines the guinea pig and agrees first. This is an additional fee as we will be going to a new vet. We will probably schedule the new visit soon. I'm somewhat worried about the complications and stress of a visit and x-ray on the guinea pig.

It depends on the pig as to whether they need anesthesia for an x-ray. If they stay still, then they don't need it. If not, they do. But they just "whiff" them under for the x-ray, and then they're right back awake again. It's not like anesthesia for surgery.

But if your vet hasn't suggested an x-ray in all this time, don't go back there again. If you google "exotic vets tampa florida" (without the quotes), you'll find some exotic pet practices. That's what you need.

miniver

Cavy Slave
The stress of the vet visit is nothing compared to the pain your guinea pig will be in if it's a stone. It sounds like the poor guy is already in pain. The vet visit and x-ray will be over quickly but a stone can be fatal is left un treated.

I don't know if you have been to any other vet with any other animal or if this bad experience is your only experience. A good competent vet will know how to handle your guinea pig to keep the stress to a minimum. It will be worth it in the end.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The anesthesia won't be any stress for him. They'll hold a small mask in front of his face until he gets sleepy, pop him on the table for a x-ray, and then he'll be right back up.

Ditto [MENTION=32621]miniver[/MENTION] that a stone is far more dangerous to him than a vet visit and an x-ray.

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
Ok. So i have an appointment setup for tomorrow for xrays. They told me over the phone that it would be roughly 175 for 2 x-ray pictures including initial exam. They didn't say if that included anesthesia or not. They said they would try without. Im scared if they over dose the anesthesia.

I asked the vet if the doctor specializes in guinea pigs or just sees them. She replied the doctor just sees them and does NOT specialize. Here is a link to the vet iam going to tomorrow : https://animalandexoticmedicalcenter.vetstreet.com/
I hope everything goes well. Should i ask for a fecal and urine sample to be taken? Should i start collecting urine?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's someone who specializes in guinea pigs at Citrus Park Animal Hospital.

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
Thank you all again for advice. We took Sam to the vet in Citris Park today to the person that specializes in them and Sam was a little blocked up with feces. We clean and look up there regularly but the vet went even deeper than we usually do. I'm used to owning female guinea pigs and not males.

We were wondering your thoughts on deworming and vitamin C. The vet recommended we deworm them every 3 months (they can get worms from the hay) and give a vitamin C tablets once a day. I have seen on this forumn and website not to do these things so would like your thoughts.

There's someone who specializes in guinea pigs at Citrus Park Animal Hospital.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I never heard of a guinea pig getting worms from hay, and I certainly wouldn't treat one that wasn't having symptoms.

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
Ok, well the vet said he worked under Ann Evans, Rodentologist and this is what she recommended.

This is the shampoo they also had us buy and recommended...
IMG_7282.jpgIMG_7283.jpg

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
So do you all suggest that I stop the dewormer and not use this shampoo on the pigs? Not sure what to do here.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's a medicated shampoo, which isn't needed unless the pig has parasites. I personally don't like to bathe animals that groom themselves with a medicated shampoo, particularly because pigs have such sensitive digestive systems. You should be able to find a mild shampoo for exotic pets somewhere local, or use a kitten shampoo.

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
When Sam was there with the vet he was given a dose of ivermectin 1% and panacur 2.5% at the same time. Is this safe? And he gave me panacur 6ml for 4 days.
IMG_7285.jpgIMG_7286.jpg
I wouldn't feel comfortable answering your questions about the dewormer, but I personally wouldn't use that shampoo. I do not like the list of ingredients. The only shampoo that I use on my pigs is Kind and Gentle from Gorgeous Guineas. It ships from Australia, so it takes a little while to get to the States. It is very safe for guinea pigs.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Panacur is for worms. I wouldn't give it to my pigs unless they had symptoms of worms. Guinea pigs that are housed inside don't usually get worms.

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
Ok so i wont be giving him any of the panacur. The Dr also told me that i should be giving him 50mg a day everyday of vitamin C supplement. Even on top of the vegetables hes getting. Is this ok? I dont see symptoms of worms. I asked him to do a fecal test or urine and he said no need to. He said no more carrots apples strawberries is too much sugar but i rarely give it to them . Im going to order some of the shampoo and melt from the Gorgeous Guinea website. When i pet my guinea pig backwards i sometimes notice dandruff on him. Which shampoo should i get to treat this from the website? Should i order some ivermectin for him instead?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He doesn't need additional vitamin C if you're giving him veggies that are high in vitamin C, like bell peppers. There's a chart on this page that you can sort on any particular column to find foods that are high in a particular vitamin: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List

Bits of fruit are fine occasionally, but sugar can upset the good/bad balance of bacteria in the gut and cause digestive upsets. But mine have always gotten a bit of fruit two or three times a week with no ill effects.

Have your pigs been outside? If not, they almost certainly don't have worms.

Ivermectin isn't used to treat dandruff, just parasites. If you don't think they've got lice or mites, don't use the ivermectin. The Gorgeous Guineas stuff should take care of any dry skin.

This guy may be an exotic vet, but I'm not impressed.

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
Thank you, we have that chart taped to our fridge and refer to it daily on what to give the guinea pigs. We've read all these things on the forum/website but the vet was contradicting much of it and we just wanted to double check. I know a lot of people seem to post on here about vets that are not as knowledgeable. Thank you for your input. I think our guinea pigs favorite food is carrots so it would be a shame to cut those out entirely. They usually quickly take the carrot and run to their houses to eat them. We only give them to them 2-3 times a week though.

He doesn't need additional vitamin C if you're giving him veggies that are high in vitamin C, like bell peppers. There's a chart on this page that you can sort on any particular column to find foods that are high in a particular vitamin: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List

Bits of fruit are fine occasionally, but sugar can upset the good/bad balance of bacteria in the gut and cause digestive upsets. But mine have always gotten a bit of fruit two or three times a week with no ill effects.

Have your pigs been outside? If not, they almost certainly don't have worms.

Ivermectin isn't used to treat dandruff, just parasites. If you don't think they've got lice or mites, don't use the ivermectin. The Gorgeous Guineas stuff should take care of any dry skin.

This guy may be an exotic vet, but I'm not impressed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.