Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior My piggy just passed away [emoji22]

mirabobell

Cavy Slave
Hye guys, can anyone help me regarding this, My 1st piggy i got was few months back, and i just bought another piggy few weeks back, but my new piggy just died because shes actually having an URI and i already gave her all doctor ask me to gave. But sadly, shes just passed away this morning [emoji22] i didnt put them in the same cage since i read that you must quarantine them first and cant direct put them in the same cage. However they both have couple of floortimes together. But since the second one got sick, i stop letting them have floortime together. They had met for about only 3 or 4 floortimes. And now the second one has passed away, is it gonna affect my first sow? Your advise and opinion are really appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Maybe, maybe not. Your second pig could have had a well-established infection when you got her, particularly if you got her from a pet store or a backyard breeder. URI's aren't all that contagious -- I've never had one guinea pig catch an infection from another one, and I never separate them for illness unless it's really a dire emergency.

But just so you know, letting them together for floortime means you're not quarantining them. To quarantine something, it needs to be kept completely separate, and you should tend to your older pig first, then the new one, then change your clothes before going back to the older one. Otherwise, they have plenty of opportunity for the organisms to be transmitted to the other pig, and quarantine is broken.

It's also not a good idea to put pigs together before you formally introduce them. They're wired to establish dominance when they meet another pig, and repeated meetings and separations just stresses them out. Wait until you're ready to put them together, then do full introductions, put them in the cage, and let that be it.

mirabobell

Cavy Slave
Thankyou so much bpatters. Yup i bought her from the petshop . My mistakes there [emoji22] thankyou

Piggylover1998

Cavy Slave
I've had two piggies that have had URI's , my one pig had hers for quite awhile before I realized that she was actually sick, and needed to go to the vet. URI's can be contagious , but if you clean your cages regularly and wash everything it's really unlikely . My guinea pigs cages were connected and always had floor time, and my other pig never caught it even with them grooming one another and such. I wouldn't be too worried about it, just watch out for early signs such as sleeping too much, not eating / drinking/ going to the washroom, and always check their eyes and noses for anything out of ordinary. I'm sure your piggy will be fine ❤️ best of luck xx

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I recently lost a pig to a URI, although I'm still not really convinced that what it actually was, I think there was something else going on too. My pig was housed with his brother the whole time until I felt he needed to be separated just to rest. My other pig never contracted anything from the sick one, and is still doing fine 2 months later.

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
Im sorry for your loss

Happy Cavy

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry about your loss. My piggy had URI before I brought her home. I just hope it never come back.
I feel that the advice given by [MENTION=39647]Piggylover1998[/MENTION] is spot on.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
We are always warned about the seriousness of a URI in cavies, but until we have experienced it, we don't realize how quickly it can turn into pneumonia. My Maya apparently developed a URI and when I became aware of it, immediately go her to the Vet who prescribed antibiotics. I brought her home and set up a "tent" over the cage with a vaporizer running to help her breathe. She passed over the Rainbow Bridge less than 24 hrs. later.

Alas, sometimes we just never know why these things happen despite our best efforts to care for them. Sparky and Chip send their wheeks and prayers to you. :love:

mirabobell

Cavy Slave
Thankyouu so much guys for your advise and information you guys gave me. I am so blessed to be 1 of this forum [emoji22][emoji8][emoji4]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.