Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine cloudy and confused

NewPiggieMa

Cavy Gazer
We are new to piggie parenting and adopted a 4 mo old male and an 8 mo male about a month ago.

For the last week they have had cloudy white urine. It is not grainy, but is white enough to leave a white stain on the fleece when it dries.

We've researched dieting needs quite a bit and have come to understand cloudy white urine usually means an excess of calcium; however, we think we are feeding a low calcium diet. I must be off, but I'm not sure where.

We feed daily:
1/4 cup Oxbow pellets
unlimited Oxbow timothy hay
2 cups combo of: red leaf lettuce, endive, green/yellow/red peppers, 1/4" slice of zucchini, and 1 cherry tomato.
Occasionally: carrot, cilantro, parsley, apple, fresh grass

I've tried to use the calcium calculator from guinealynx, but I am having trouble making sense of it. If I'm reading correctly, I'm actually low on calcium and would need to increase calcium for the proper calcium:phosphate ratio, but this feels counterintuitive to preventing cloudy urine.

Any suggestions or advice?
Thanks!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.