Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Preferred Bedding

Lady_Magoo

Cavy Slave
I have tried and tried fleece. It seems like a brilliant idea each and every time I lay it down, plus it looks oh so pretty when its fresh and clean. But, I absolutely despise cleaning it! I dread it each and every time I start. I usually try to change it within two days, sometimes shaking it out and placing it back down, but it creates so much mess. I have yet to figure out a really good system for this.

What other alternatives are there that people have found that keeps piggies happy but doesn't break the wallet each week?

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
How many pigs do you have?

I go through once a day and use a glove to pick up the poops (i hate touching the juicy ones, lol!). I just sweep them with my hand into a pile and get most of it. I bring treats for my piggies and I give them treats while I do it! They hop around while I clean because they know they get treats while I'm there. So I combine play time with poop time and I honestly enjoy it.

Don't worry about hay on the fleece, the pigs sure don't mind. they love that stuff. I have two hay feeders in my cage and they make a bit of a hay mess on the fleece aroudn them but I just leave that until the once/week cleaning. then I take the fleece out and shake it in the yard really well before I wash it.

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
I use a small hand held vacuum cleaner to sweep up the poos and even the small bits of hay laying around. I actually have a kitchen area though that I use paper bedding in that I spot clean every other day then do a full clean with the full weekly clean of the fleece. It keeps most of the hay off the fleece area but what does get on there I can get up with the hand vac. I use the black and Decker Flex hand vac that has a lithium battery and can last days without being charged. It is a bit pricey but well worth it I think as it comes with a floor head attachment so I can use it for my hardwood floors without getting out the big vacuum to keep my house clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.