Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Long Haired Guinea Pigs

P

Poppy02

Long Haired Guinea Pigs

Hiya there :)
I have two male long haired guinea pigs, which are roughly around 8 months old and i seem to have a problem with their fur, even though i brush them regularly their fur is always getting caught up in their bedding, especially around their back ends. And their not so keen on being brushed around that area. I was wondering is it alright to trim their hair ? I don't want to do it if it is wrong so i thought i had better ask first. But i was thinking if i trim their hair, then it wont get so caught up in their bedding, making it easier to brush them.

Thanks for your help :)

Kristina

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Long Haired Guinea Pigs

I always keep my long hairs cut short, especially around their butts. I usually keep their hair on the side cut so that it barely touches the ground. It's okay to cut their hair. Some people do really short hair cuts in the summer to help keep them cool.

L

Lauren Gillanders

Re:Long Haired Guinea Pigs

you should give them a trim if the hair is getting too long but make sure that when you cut that you have sharp scissors because if they are not sharp enough then the fur might bend and pull and the piggy.

I am sure they would love a trim especcially in summer!
from
Lauren Gillanders
([email protected])

K

kellybug

Re: Re:Long Haired Guinea Pigs

Oh i am so glad i found this post. I've only had my long haired gp's for two days and already their fur is matted and smelling awful especially around the back end. I read somewhere that you had to wrap the long hair up and tie it but that didn't sound too comfortable for the poor pig. I think maybe if you were going to show them this would be the case.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.