Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage Design Help in Limited Space

Umbra_the_Wolf

Cavy Gazer
Guinea Pig Cage.jpg
Hi all,

Video explaining my options
https://youtu.be/QboO8NxSj3I

I live in a tiny house and have limited space but I wanted to see if a unique shape that still provides about 8sq.ft. of room would still be enough for a happy piggy. I was told by a Petco manager that the pictured Cage above is enough for one pig but I've read pretty much everywhere online that it's insufficient. My tiny house is only 8.5' wide so obviously I'm not fitting most large cages. Is this Critter-Cage good enough for a well-handled piggy for its entire life?

If not, I've had other ideas:

1) An L-shape corner cage that is 28"L x 17"W x 15"T, then the L-corner itself can bend to add another 17"L x 17"W x 15"T approximately
2) Or go for a normal Petco cage above 28"L x 17"W x 15"T but then customize vertically. The area above the wall is 55"L so the cage can have a 55"L x 12"W x 15"T upper area. A slide will allow the guinea pig to walk up for more running room. It'd be a cool cage to invent.

In both situations, width is lacking but length isn't so much of an issue.

Last option is get a normal square cage that is simply 8sq.ft. and put my guinea pig in the loft forever. With a cage of that shape, I will simply have to make it work or be forced to buy/build a custom cage if ever it just wasn't working out. I don't think this would happen. I've had rodents of all kinds all of my life but these things do happen and I've had to get realllllllllllllllly inventive to accommodate them. I just don't want to do this but will if the people here say it's the wisest decision.

Thanks guys!

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure you've got the space for a guinea pig... To go vertical it would have to be a back and forth ramp to keep the angle low enough to safely accommodate a guinea pig on the move.
They're best kept in pairs and near more like 10-11sq.ft minimum.
[MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION], could you weigh in?

Umbra_the_Wolf

Cavy Gazer
I'm not sure you've got the space for a guinea pig... To go vertical it would have to be a back and forth ramp to keep the angle low enough to safely accommodate a guinea pig on the move.
They're best kept in pairs and near more like 10-11sq.ft minimum.
[MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION], could you weigh in?

Why so they sell such small cages then? And they need to be in pairs? I haven't read this as a need like it is for gerbils, more like a good thing to do but this will be my little lap pet. I'll take the little bugger out 2 hours solid a day. I'd really like a different rodent than a hamster, they just aren't cuddly. If a guinea pig is perfect for my needs for companionship but I lack some space, would the be an alternative rodent with similar lazy, cuddly personalities? I've had rabbits, hamsters, rats, gerbils et all of my life multiple at time and hamsters were​always my favorite with two exceptions: they don't sit still ever ever ever and they don't like being pet. They just run till they die. They are so adorable and do love you but in a more distant way. I just wanted something closer and all my friends said guinea pigs were exactly what I've been looking for.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Some guinea pigs are cuddly, not all. Whilst they do rest and have an on/off agenda through the day, when they are on they are really quite active. Hence the need for space. As a herd animal, yes it is best they are kept in pairs or more.
Maybe a guinea pig(s) is what you're looking for, but I'm not sure it's the right choice for you..

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That cage you showed really won't do. And you're right, they ought not market such things for guinea pigs. It's best not to take Petco employees' word for much of anything regarding guinea pig care, cages, or sexes. In fact, please don't buy a pig from Petco -- there are many pig in rescues and shelters that need good homes, and they're not part of the horrible breeding mill problem.

Also, pigs are herd animals, and they need another pig buddy. So your cage really should have two in it, not one.

The L-shaped idea is better than the very long and narrow. But you could also take a look in the Photo Gallieries -- there are tons of pig pictures there, and you may get some ideas about cage configuration.

Here's some recommended reading material for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Umbra_the_Wolf

Cavy Gazer
That cage you showed really won't do. And you're right, they ought not market such things for guinea pigs. It's best not to take Petco employees' word for much of anything regarding guinea pig care, cages, or sexes. In fact, please don't buy a pig from Petco -- there are many pig in rescues and shelters that need good homes, and they're not part of the horrible breeding mill problem.

Also, pigs are herd animals, and they need another pig buddy. So your cage really should have two in it, not one.

The L-shaped idea is better than the very long and narrow. But you could also take a look in the Photo Gallieries -- there are tons of pig pictures there, and you may get some ideas about cage configuration.

Here's some recommended reading material for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

I thought as much, that's why I came here. I have plenty of room for a hamster so it's not the end of the world. This isn't something I'd do without a couple months of thought. Thanks guys, and I'll be checking back here for more nfo so feel free to chime in more on this thread with whatever advice you have.

lissie

Cavy Slave
If you are looking for a cuddly pet, a guinea pig might not be for you. Not all pigs like to cuddle.

I think for people who say guinea pigs area lazy, they haven't provided the pigs with appropriate housing. The pigs don't do anything because they're bored.

Guinea pigs like to run laps around their cages.

Last edited:

Umbra_the_Wolf

Cavy Gazer
If you are looking for a cuddly pet, a guinea pig might not be for you. Not all pigs like to cuddle.

I think for people who say guinea pigs area lazy, they haven't provided the pigs with appropriate housing. The pigs don't do anything because they're bored.

Guinea pigs like to run laps around their cages.

My friend told me to get a cat. They adapt to any living space, they are cuddly so long as you get the right breed, no walks lol and very independent like hamsters are. I've even thought about exotic pets but I'm too timid to try. Unless I am capable I'd saying, yes, I'll be a good caregiver for it's entire life sick or healthy then I won't get any pet.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cats require less work than most other pets, if you don't absolutely hate changing the litter box. They're definitely friendlier than guinea pigs, and will actuall (sometimes) come when you call them (if you've got something they want, like food). Guinea pigs are unlikely to do that.

Umbra_the_Wolf

Cavy Gazer
Yeah, I'll probably pick up a good little kitten someday. Probably a Sphynx or something. Litter boxes don't bother me after 25 years of rodent cages. And I can place the litter box anywhere I want really

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I am so happy that you are doing some more research, petco employees aren't typically reliable sources so it's great that you are digging a little bit deeper. This forum has tons of information on everything to do with guinea pigs.

One thing I can suggest that helps me when i'm trying to make space for furniture: I map my room out on grid paper to scale, then use a separate piece of paper and draw out my furniture to scale. Then I cut the furniture out and play around with the configuration on the other piece of paper. This has allowed me to rearrange my room several times! Maybe there is a way you can rearrange your space so you can fit a 2x4 cage or equivalent?

While guinea pigs do make fantastic pets, they do require a lot of space. If you aren't able to give them that space then I agree that a cat may be better suited for your needs. I would also argue that cats are less work than guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.