Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New guinea pig owner has a question...

butterflybridge

Cavy Gazer
Hello, everyone. This is my first time posting to a guinea pig forum, as I am new to guinea pig ownership. We got our first baby girl, Molly, on March 7th. She was living a spoiled and lovely life, but as I read more about piggies, I realized we needed to get her a sister. So, we adopted baby girl number 2, Bridget, a few weeks later. We kept our new guinea pig quarantined and also took her to a guinea pig vet for complete check-up, just like we did for the first one. Everyone was healthy, so after 3 weeks we decided to introduce them today. We did our homework and made sure everything was set up appropriately.

Molly (she's our first one) nipped, chased and head butted Bridget (our baby). Bridget submitted to Molly every time. Molly is a bit older and bigger than Bridget. Neither of the girls ever chattered teeth. Four hours later, things died down and Molly showed no more aggressive behavior. They seemed to just sniff around everywhere. So, we set up their new, huge cage we ordered and put together, and put both girls in their new home. Now, we notice that Molly has started chasing Bridget again, nipping at her, basically not letting her go anywhere without chasing her away and nipping at her. My question is...how long do we allow this bullying behavior from Molly before taking action? I don't have any furniture in right now because Molly gives Bridget no peace.

Sorry so long. I know this is only day 1, but I just want to make sure we're doing everything right.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
If you have just changed their environment and they are new friends, they would be reestablishing that Molly is boss. Get some fleece forests in there so that Bridget can be out of sight from time to time. Hides with multiple exits are also good.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

butterflybridge

Cavy Gazer
Thank you for the links and suggestions. Today has been a bit better, but Molly is still nipping, chasing and rumblestrutting around Bridget. I just feel so badly for Bridget right now. No chattering, no teeth, no blood yet. But Molly is harassing her, for lack of a better word. Patience, I guess.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.