Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Skinny Pig's Skin - Coconut oil allergy? Mites?

jacinda10

Cavy Slave
When I got my skinny pig from the pet store (he had been there for 7 months and his brother was purchased but not him... and he was alone. I felt bad. I normally would adopt), he had some dry skin. They said "Oh he's probably due for a coconut oil rub down".

When he came home, his skin seemed less dry so I didn't do the coconut oil - but then he got dry again, about a week later. I decided that we would rub him down with the coconut oil like they said. A few days afterwards, I noticed Winston looking very red and scaly on his lighter skin areas. He still looks red now, like 10 days later.

Do you think he is allergic to the coconut oil, or could it be mites?

He has a cage buddy, Finnegan, who is a shorthair and doesn't seem to have this issue (I've looked at his skin by parting the fur).

IMG_0164.jpgIMG_0163.jpg

jacinda10

Cavy Slave
Oh, and I've got ivermectin on the way, via Amazon Prime. Will treat when it gets here on Tuesday.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
His ear looks similar to how I've seen pigs with mites' ears look before. It might be possible he's allergic to coconut oil, but I don't think it's likely, the Ivermectin is probably your best bet.
Treat Finnegan too, if one pig has mites, they both do, it's probably just the stress of Winston's situation that made him susceptible to it getting bad enough to be noticeable.

The reason it could seem to be in response to the coconut oil may be because mites respond to moisture by burrowing deeper into the skin, or it might be a coincidence. Good luck, hope he feels better soon!

jacinda10

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the reply. I figured it was mites.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Looks like probable mites to me, too. Is he scratching that area?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.