PDA

View Full Version : Snuffles



Rachy1412
11-15-05, 04:34 pm
I have outdoor rabbits and it is getting quite cold now. I've given them boxes, hideys and extra bedding but what else can I do to keep them warm? My female rabbit seems to have a cold. Her eyes look different to normal and she has a slight discharge, she also sounds like someone with a cold. Should I get her to the vets for some antibiotics or can they fight colds off themselves? Well.. do Rabbits actually get colds anyway?

Thanks! xx

C&R5567
11-15-05, 04:51 pm
You've got to get your little baby to the vet, she is sick.

And I'm going to pound this in again and again and again regardless....

Your bunny companions belong IN the house. They are supposed to be a part of your family. Set them up a closed in area with all the boxes, bedding and whatever can be added. Make your home their home, too. They need your interaction and attention. They need you to hold them. They need you. Please bring them in, make them warm and love then as you would the rest of your family.

Rachy1412
11-15-05, 04:58 pm
You've got to get your little baby to the vet, she is sick.

And I'm going to pound this in again and again and again regardless....

Your bunny companions belong IN the house. They are supposed to be a part of your family. Set them up a closed in area with all the boxes, bedding and whatever can be added. Make your home their home, too. They need your interaction and attention. They need you to hold them. They need you. Please bring them in, make them warm and love then as you would the rest of your family.

Thanks for the advice, I will get her to the vets ASAP. If I could keep them indoors I would but I am not allowed.

Rachy1412
11-17-05, 02:42 pm
I went to the vets today and it was the worst news possible. He thinks she has myxomatosis. He's not 100% sure as it could be an infection but she has all the signs of myxo. :( My other two haven't got signs yet but I got them vaccinated today. I've brought her indoors and made her warm but she's not eating and she is in such a state I don't know what to do.

Solebomber
11-17-05, 09:38 pm
Did your Vet do a Nasal Titer ? thats when they use a long q-tip like object to get a sample of the inner nasal cavity, they can then have that tested to see exactly what is causing the problem and treat accordingly. If not I would call and see if he can do this, I personally would want to be 100% sure and not second guessing - I really hope your bunny pulls through this do keep us posted.

C&R5567
11-17-05, 09:42 pm
This is hearbreaking news to be sure. All that you can do now is to make her comfortable as she will surely die within a few days. The disease is usually always fatal and death is quick.

I am so sorry.

I must tell you that domestic bunnies catch this disease from mosquitoes and such. So having your bunnies outside is assuredly setting them up to extremely high risk of losing their lives.

You did not explain why you cannot have your bunnies in the house with you. I surely hope you can change this situation as the alternatives look grave for them.

I know this sounds harsh but their lives depend on the decision that you will make now.

Rachy1412
11-18-05, 07:24 am
Did your Vet do a Nasal Titer ? thats when they use a long q-tip like object to get a sample of the inner nasal cavity, they can then have that tested to see exactly what is causing the problem and treat accordingly. If not I would call and see if he can do this, I personally would want to be 100% sure and not second guessing - I really hope your bunny pulls through this do keep us posted.

No he didn't do a nasal titer. He said that she had all the signs of myxi; swollen eyes, lips, the snuffles and swollen genitals. She ate her dinner vegetables last night but she won't eat her pellets or breakfast. Her breakfast contains all hard vegi's such as carrots, swede, peppers etc. as where her dinner is leafy greens. I also gave her an orange which she ate. She is also still drinking.


I must tell you that domestic bunnies catch this disease from mosquitoes and such. So having your bunnies outside is assuredly setting them up to extremely high risk of losing their lives.

You did not explain why you cannot have your bunnies in the house with you. I surely hope you can change this situation as the alternatives look grave for them.

The vet thinks it is most likely that she got the disease from fleas so I've treated everyone for them with advantage. They don't have fleas mind you but my cat could be carrying them. If it was up to me I would keep my rabbits indoors but my parents don't allow me to. At the moment I have Bunny under my desk where she has already staged a breakout!

Rachy1412
11-20-05, 02:07 pm
Bunny is getting worse now. She's finding it hard to breath now and has started breathing out of her mouth. Her eyes are nearly closed up aswell. Her lips are swollen so I am having trouble giving her antibiotics. She's also stopped eating. Should I give her some sort of pellet mash? If so how do I make a pellet mash..! She's still drinking. Her poop is small and sticky or sometimes it is runny. I am off to the vets tomorrow with one of my pigs, should I ask for some pain medication for Bunny?

C&R5567
11-20-05, 02:46 pm
My heart breaks from your recent news. If I were you I probably would have tried to find a vet today, even though it is Sunday. If she makes it through the night and you go to the vet tomorrow, if I were you I would ask the vet to put her to sleep. It costs money to be sure, but personally I couldn't stand knowing she is in this kind of suffering.

I am not sure about what to try to feed her, maybe another user here can help you. Try some veggies, some kind of greens, see if she will take those. Keep giving her water. Hold her as much as you can. If she dies she will be held in your arms, feeling your touch and hearing your voice.

None the less, she is suffering terribly and should go to the vet tomorrow. The thought of her pain is too much to allow this to continue.

My sympathy goes out to this precious little bunny and to you. I am so sorry.

:weepy: :love:

Rachy1412
11-20-05, 03:39 pm
Thanks C&R.. I really don't know what to do. I don't want her suffering but I don't want to give up on her. :(

I've tried giving her vegi's, baby food, pellets and fruits but she doesn't want any of them. I think I will probably take her in to the vets tomorrow when I go in with my pigs.

bunnyluv17
11-21-05, 11:51 am
You could also try plain canned pumpkin or oxbow critical care.

Solebomber
11-24-05, 12:14 pm
Any news on the bunny's condition ? ?

C&R5567
11-24-05, 02:14 pm
I am of the opinion that Rachy may be too sad to post. So I hope I won't be out of line by relaying some news. Sadly her little bunny has died.

Bless this little life that is lost. :love: