Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New pig slave(s) in Texas

teresaintx

Cavy Slave
Hi! I'm Teresa and my teenage daughter is Rebecca.

We are new, first time guinea pig mommas to two young females. Skittles is Rebecca's and Ginger belongs to me. Skittles is an American? and I was told Ginger is an Abyssinian. Supposedly they are from the same litter and are now anywhere from 4 weeks to about 7 weeks old . I'm not sure because I was told different ages by 2 different salespeople.

We went the pet store route before knowing about rescues or adoptions so please don't hate on us. We also only have a pet store cage right now but will be fixing that quickly. We have had our girls for 1 week and 4 days respectively.

I quickly realized how little we know about how to be proper pig mommas and I'm here partially to correct that. I will be exploring the various threads so watch for more posts from me soon.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

RodneyLuv30

Cavy Slave
That's ok texas. Pet store piggies need love too. They live in very bad conditions as we all know. Maybe you could rescue one or two once you get settled. The more the merrier! From one new momma to another, good luck and keep reading ! ;)

teresaintx

Cavy Slave
The first thing to do is turn them both over and compare their private parts. Pet stores are notorious for mis-sexing guinea pigs, and we've had many a pregnant "male" on here .!

LOL that is probably a really good idea. I'm still trying to learn how to hold them without scaring them badly or them scaring me badly. I must admit to some fear of their little teeth. LOL

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
That's ok texas. Pet store piggies need love too. They live in very bad conditions as we all know. Maybe you could rescue one or two once you get settled. The more the merrier! From one new momma to another, good luck and keep reading ! ;)

Rodney I was born in Bedford PA but moved away many years ago (30 to be exact!). I grew up on the fish hatchery in Reynoldsdale if you know where that is? Don't come across a lot of people from Johnstown!

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
Hi! I'm Teresa and my teenage daughter is Rebecca.

We are new, first time guinea pig mommas to two young females. Skittles is Rebecca's and Ginger belongs to me. Skittles is an American? and I was told Ginger is an Abyssinian. Supposedly they are from the same litter and are now anywhere from 4 weeks to about 7 weeks old . I'm not sure because I was told different ages by 2 different salespeople.

We went the pet store route before knowing about rescues or adoptions so please don't hate on us. We also only have a pet store cage right now but will be fixing that quickly. We have had our girls for 1 week and 4 days respectively.

I quickly realized how little we know about how to be proper pig mommas and I'm here partially to correct that. I will be exploring the various threads so watch for more posts from me soon.

I could have written this post word for word (pet store pig, live in texas, researching after buying!) except that my daughter is only 12 :) Got my new cage built last weekend and our boy loves his new home. We're waiting for Austin Guinea Pig Rescue to have a male pig ready to adopt and we're adding a second!

urofan

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the Guinea Pig Cages Forum.

DonkeyBrainz

Cavy Slave
Welcome and congrats on the adoption! Not many people know about rescue shelters having guinea pigs, so no hate! Now that you know, you can spread the word!

Someone who cares enough to come visit these forums and who wants to learn all they can about guinea pigs, I'm sure you two will be wonderful pig parents! Your piggies are lucky to have you!

Nadiv

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.