Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Depression in Guiena Pig after new buddies being introduced?

Sushiroll_

Cavy Slave
So, I adopted three new caveys around a month ago, and made sure they were all females so they could eventually join with my firdt two. I placed their cages beside eachother making sure they could see eachother and know they were their. Since it was going on the 4th week, i inteoduced them on common ground, providing a nice snack of lettuce they could share. So far so good, them Peach(who is the dominate one of her pack) began fighting my original guinea pigs. Mavis quickly gave in and they accepted her but she faught with sushi the most, i didnt interfere to much because no blood was drawn, but obce they stopped she seemed to outcast sushi and wouldnt allow her to go near the other caveys, especially her sister mavis who was her original cage mate and she cant function without her. So i placed them back in their cages separate once more but now sushi seemed depressed about ehat has happened and now shes just laying around her cage not doing much. Shell get up to drink and kind of eat but then just goes back and lays in the corner. Mavis snuggles up to her but she still just lays there. It breaks my heart because shes always so full of life and all over the place and now shes not. Any thing i can do to make her feel happy again??

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Here's some more info on introductions- https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

Sushi will probably be fine again soon, especially since Mavis is still being friendly towards her. It was just an upsetting ordeal for her, and she needs some time to recuperate. As for how to help her feel better, maybe some extra floor time with Mavis? My pigs always enjoy exploring, even when they're feeling down or lazy. Really, though, I think time will help her the most.

eternalpnk

Cavy Slave
I did something similar to that in which I introduced my two bonded guinea pigs to two other new, but non-bonded guinea pigs. One of the new ones fought with my dominant resident pig so I removed her from the picture. The other new guinea pig did well so I kept her with my bonded pair. The new guinea pig kept chasing my submissive resident guinea pig around and now my submissive resident guinea pig has either gone into depression or became too stressed. My submissive resident guinea pig eats a little and doesn't move. I literally sat and watched her sit huddled in a ball for more than an hour without eating or drinking. I have now removed her from the cage in hope her stress level would go down and she was eat again and be her usual more active self.

At least yours has a friend. I'm afraid I may have broken up my bonded pair cause my resident dominant guinea pig prefers the company of the new guinea pig.

Sushiroll_

Cavy Slave
Thank you guys I will defiantly pull Sushi out and play with her more today. She loves roaming around their little room so many being away from the other's cages she'll be ok. It just broke my heart seeing her go from moving around and play to doing absolutely nothing at all. And I'm glad her sister did not abandon her like I feared she would after what had happened. I got them both when they were 4 weeks old and even then they couldn't be separated even just to hold, they always want to be with each other. Today she seems better, she hasn't been in the corner as much and is actually moving around and eating from her food dish. I'll try re introducing them once I feel like she's gone back to her old self and has time to recover from the stress it may have caused her. The other two cavys don't mind her at all it's just getting Peach, the dominate one to accept her.

Sushiroll_

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to hear that :( I hope everything ends up being alright with your guinea pig and she feel accepted back into her little pack with the new piggie.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.