PDA

View Full Version : Size Cage size?

Willmunny
03-12-17, 03:48 pm
Just a quick but important question, my local rescue has two male guinea pigs up for adoption but before I go ahead could someone confirm whether my set up is appropriate...

The dimensions are 2.5ft (77cm) x 6.1ft (185cm), its a C&C cage by the way.

According to my maths it works out over 15ft squared...will this be big enough?

CavyTV
03-12-17, 04:23 pm
Yes, it's alright. It's just a bit bigger than a 2x5 (28in.x70in.). A 2x5 is actually the minimum for a pair of females, and a 2x6 for males. However, some male pairs get along just fine in a 2x5. Others need much more space. See how it goes; if they start squabbling, you might want to consider extending the cage a bit.

Karleen Garcia
03-12-17, 04:33 pm
CavyTV according the guinea pig cages website, I thought a 2x4 is preferred for 2 piggies and the bare minimum is a 2x3? I built a 2x4 because that's what was preferred according to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lissie
03-12-17, 05:43 pm
CavyTV according the guinea pig cages website, I thought a 2x4 is preferred for 2 piggies and the bare minimum is a 2x3? I built a 2x4 because that's what was preferred according to it.

That is correct. However, if you have space for a larger cage, go with the larger one.

Males do need more space than females.

DroidGuineaPig
03-12-17, 06:02 pm
Huh. I always thought it was a 2 x 4 for females and a 2 x 5 for males.

CavyTV
03-12-17, 07:19 pm
@CavyTV (https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=38487) according the guinea pig cages website, I thought a 2x4 is preferred for 2 piggies and the bare minimum is a 2x3? I built a 2x4 because that's what was preferred according to it.

Yes, but the reason many people recommend at least a 2x5 for females and at least a 2x6 for males is because that's what seems to work best. More people have better luck bonding males in a cage that's at least a 2x6 if not bigger and a 2x5 or larger for females. If you really think about it, a 2x4 or a 2x3 is not that big at all, especially for more than one guinea pig. However, you can try to house 2 females in a 2x4 and males in a 2x5, but just keep in mind that you might encounter problems.

In my personal opinion, I think giving guinea pigs as much space as possible is necessary. Even if it is above the minimum requirements. Yes, a 2x3 or a 2x4 is bigger than your average petstore cage, but the rule will always be that a bigger cage is better. I know some people might think otherwise, but to me, 2x3 and 2x4 cages don't offer enough space/freedom for guinea pigs, even if it is just one.

Willmunny
03-16-17, 08:05 am
I could potentially upgrade to a 2x6 if I put it at the other end of the room, the problem there is one end of the cage would be near a vent in the wall and the other end would be close to a radiator, the cage itself would then be underneath a window. The vent is basically only a hole in the wall that leaves air from the outside in so I could put a board across it to stop any drafts, would it be worth the upgrade on account of the vent and radiator?

CavyTV
03-16-17, 07:05 pm
Definitely. Your pigs would appreciate the space.