Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage Design for two boars that aren't getting along...

lapoissonne

Cavy Slave
I have two adolescent brothers that seemed to tolerate each other the last five months as long as they had separate feeding and cozies but now....they are fighting. We have teeth chattering, chasing and one piggie got a torn ear lobe. I want to redesign their cage so they can be separated but I can remove a panel or ramp and let them be together (when supervised). I would like to do a two story and the ramp being how I separate them so that the cage doesn't take up so much space. Does anyone have pictures of such a cage or better yet, some "blue prints?" Of ocurse I'm looking at doing a C&C/Coroplast cage. Thank you. :sad:

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can't keep separating and putting the divider back, even when supervised. They need time to work out their dominance issue each time they meet. It will cause more problems.

Only separate if they have an all out war.

What kind of cage are they in now? For a divided cage, they each need at least 2x3 C&C cage. If you have space for a divided cage, you could try expanding the current cage to a 3x4 or 2x6, and see if it helps them get along better.

Don't use any house with one door. One can trap the other and cause fights. You can use cardboard boxes and cut out multiple doors, or drape fleece over the corners of the cage so they can run through.

Here a cage ideas for divided cages.
(broken link removed)

Last edited:

lapoissonne

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I like that design. Maybe keeping an opening in the top and an opening on the bottom....the one who attacked the other was very territorial of our one balcony and his brother was determined to go up there too. They might just need even more space and areas to explore. I got another set of cubes and a new sheet of coroplast for a remodel.

You can't keep separating and putting the divider back, even when supervised. They need time to work out their dominance issue each time they meet. It will cause more problems.

Only separate if they have an all out war.

What kind of cage are they in now? For a divided cage, they each need at least 2x3 C&C cage. If you have space for a divided cage, you could try expanding the current cage to a 3x4 or 2x6, and see if it helps them get along better.

Don't use any house with one door. One can trap the other and cause fights. You can use cardboard boxes and cut out multiple doors, or drape fleece over the corners of the cage so they can run through.

Here a cage ideas for divided cages.
(broken link removed)

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
How big is the cage? Two boars need quite a lot of room to live together.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I like that design. Maybe keeping an opening in the top and an opening on the bottom....the one who attacked the other was very territorial of our one balcony and his brother was determined to go up there too. They might just need even more space and areas to explore. I got another set of cubes and a new sheet of coroplast for a remodel.
If one pig is territorial over the loft, you might have better luck with one level cage.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
If you want to keep them together then make a 2x8 or a 3x7 and see how that works. Boars need A LOT of space in order to get along. Some pairs will need more space than others, depending on their personalities. My 2 boys were fighting as well and I separated them. I did a buddy bath and a 4 hour long re-introduction. They now live in a 2x6, but I will be making it wider once I get more coroplast. I got rid of all the one-entrance hideys they had before. They now have a willow tunnel, a tunnel made out of grids with a shelf to make a “bunkbed”, and fleece draped over an end of the cage. No hayracks, just a big pile of hay at the other end. 2 of everything. A wide cage (and less cage furniture to fight over) could be a solution for your boars. I personally find that the wider the cage the better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.