Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing Hammy and BunBun!

PiggieWiggiez

Cavy Gazer
Hi! My name is Rae, and I'm a new Piggie mom to two cute little boys, Hamilton and Cinnabun! I'm not exactly sure of either one of my sweet boys age, as they were both adopted. (Any help on figuring that out would be great!) Hammy is way younger than Cinnabun, but they get along well and are always cuddling and cooing at one another. Bunbun absolutely loves carrots and lettuce, while Hammy prefers eggplant and lots of yummy cilantro! This is my first pair of piggies, but I'm already in love with my little boys. Any advice on better ways to bond, or things like that would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

received_777432779073636.jpg IMG_20170302_182006.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Let this be your thread for your pigs. There's no need to start multiple threads.

That looks like a dog crate. If so, and if it's their permanent home, it's nowhere near big enough, and you'll wind up with injured pigs.

Also, that's a very poor quality food. They need a high quality, plain timothy pellet. The best two on the market are KMS Hayloft (only available online) and Oxbow timothy pellets for adult pigs. They keep changing the name, and I can never remember it. It used to be Cavy Cuisine.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

PiggieWiggiez

Cavy Gazer
Its not their forever home, just where I put them when I'm cleaning their cage. I wouldn't keep piggies in a dog crate. They're for, yunno, dogs.

The people at the pet store assured me it was one of the best brands. :/ I'll look into getting them some new food, but in the meantime, unlimited timothy hay, and fresh daily veggies.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Never take a pet store employee's word for anything. They're there to sell product, not to protect the health of your guinea pig.

Guinea food should never have nuts or seeds in it. Their throats are TINY, and they can easily choke on anything hard. The colored bits are also no good. The amount of dye in them might not affect you or me in the slightest, but it's a much higher percentage of a pig's body composition than it is for us. And I'd bet a good bit of money that no one knows how that dye would affect guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.