Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Getting a new guinea pig on Sunday, anyone have advice?

kcake67

Cavy Slave
Hi there! So i'm getting a new guinea pig this Sunday and was wondering about introductions. The one I am getting has always lived on it's own and my pig has been around others. Anyone have any advice on introductions?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Before you rush into introductions, there is a 21 day quarantine period where each pig needs to be in a separate room and behind closed doors to prevent any airborne illness from spreading.

Also, make sure your new pig is the gender you think. Post pics here and we can help verify gender. Make sure you have two pigs of the same gender (sexing mistakes happen all the time).

Once you've determined that your new pig is the same gender as your current pig and the new pig is in quarantine in a separate room, make sure the cage you have is large enough for two pigs, especially if they are both male. Not enough space can cause big problems.

Last edited:

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Where are you getting the pig from?

kcake67

Cavy Slave
I'm getting him from a lady on guinea pig finder. She said she was allergic and had to give him away. She only had him for about 2 weeks, he's 3 months old, and Batman is 2 months old.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.