Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Adding a friend, before or after spaying current cavy

MadzMaddy97

Cavy Slave
I have an unspayed female guinea pig that I bought from petsmart, I know now that that was the wrong place to get a guinea pig...but the issue is she isn't spayed and I need to do that, but I'm also in the process of adopting another female guinea pig so she has a buddy.

I know that you shouldn't introduce two guinea pigs if one if injured or sick because they will act funny and it most likely won't go well. So my question is, should I wait until after she's spayed and healed? Or should I introduce them, wait a while and then get her spayed?

What I know about the other guinea pig: it's a female and she's spayed and healthy.

My current cavy is 7months old. I've no clue what I should do in this situation. Though I did get her a physical check up and she's healthy, though she could stand to lose a little weight[though she isn't over weight...if that makes sense...shes at her max weight..but I am correcting her diet by not giving her unlimited pellets and over feeding veggies every day and providing more floor time]

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Is there a reason you feel like you "need" to get her spayed? It's a fairly invasive surgery and unless you want to house her with an intact male or there is concern about ovarian cysts, there is really no reason to get her spayed.

MadzMaddy97

Cavy Slave
I was told that female guinea pigs are pron to getting ovarian cysts or cancer and that it's best to get them spayed?

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I read that ovarian cysts in guinea pigs aren't as common as once thought. Getting her spayed is a drastic course of action to combat something that may never happen. As already stated, spaying is a big step, and you might end up with even more problems post surgery. I think it's a big risk, but of course it's not my guinea pig. Good luck! whatever you decide :).

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are differences of opinion about spaying. Some vets will tell you that all older sows get ovarian cysts, and that's just not the case. I've had five all make it into the 5-7 year range, and not a cyst among them.

I personally wouldn't do it unless the pig is exhibiting symptoms of a cyst.

MadzMaddy97

Cavy Slave
Alright, thanks guys. As always you are very informative. :] i think ill ask my vet but she Yui had a clean bill of health so im just gonna go ahead the adoption next weekend.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.