PDA

View Full Version : Bloated gi stasis

pouty
01-26-17, 01:27 pm
i came home from work this morning and found no poop in sofi's favorite hidey

i took her out of her cage and hand fed her for an hour and got no poop out of her so i took her to the vet

on the way to the vet she passed 1 poop

vet did an xray and said she was bloated with gas and filled with food
he gave her reglan and told me only hay and digestive support tablets and that she should start pooping in a few hours

on the way home she passed 2 poops
and has since been reaching under herself and chewing (perhaps eating her poop? i can never see the poop, just the motion)

i am hand feeding her hay, water, and getting her to move around
she eats but won't poop and i'm really scared

bpatters
01-26-17, 03:26 pm
You'll have to give it a little time.

You can try syringing some water or pedialyte to her if she's not eating veggies -- veggies are one major way that they stay hydrated.

And, it sounds like she may be eating all her poops, which is why you're not seeing them.

You can also put her on a vibrating pillow, or even an electric toothbrush, and see if that stimulates her digestive tract.

See http://www.guinealynx.info/search_bloat.html

pouty
01-26-17, 03:55 pm
Thanks @bpatters (https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=13820) I always appreciate your input.

She is pooping A LOT now. I guess the reglan is finally kicking in. I gaveher half an infant dose of simethicone, and i've been giving her water through a syringe, hand feeding her hay, and giving her belly rubs between batches of poop. Theyre all really irregular but I'm SO happy to see it all coming out. She's doing such a good job pooping. I'm so proud of her.

Guinea Pig Papa
01-26-17, 06:47 pm
It's funny, but I (and I'm know many others here) have been in a situation where their piggies aren't pooping. I'm sure most of us have never been in another situation where they were actually HAPPY to see a ton of poop!

pouty
01-27-17, 06:03 pm
We went back into stasis last night, the vet prescribed her a second medication for motility. She's pooped very little today.

Is this typical? I'm very anxious and impatient. I want her to be okay.

sallyvh
01-27-17, 08:49 pm
My sow recently had bloat and stasis, it took her about two weeks to be pretty much back to normal.

You can read about her experience here to get an idea about her treatment and recovery timeline:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/114457-Bloat-and-GI-Stasis

I know it was mostly painful waiting to see how she would respond. Lots of hand feeding, medicating and massaging.

She has been doing not too badly since her first episode at the end of November. Last week she started passing very small, bubbly looking poops and was looking puffy and uncomfortable. I had some remaining meds on hand and caught it very early and she was ok after about 16 hours.

bpatters
01-27-17, 08:53 pm
Unfortunately, pigs who have one episode of bloat are likely to have recurrences. It's something you'll always have to watch out for.

pouty
01-28-17, 09:47 am
My sow recently had bloat and stasis, it took her about two weeks to be pretty much back to normal.

You can read about her experience here to get an idea about her treatment and recovery timeline:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/114457-Bloat-and-GI-Stasis

I know it was mostly painful waiting to see how she would respond. Lots of hand feeding, medicating and massaging.

She has been doing not too badly since her first episode at the end of November. Last week she started passing very small, bubbly looking poops and was looking puffy and uncomfortable. I had some remaining meds on hand and caught it very early and she was ok after about 16 hours.

This is very helpful thank you. I was freaking out because it's the third day I'm dealing with this and she still isn't back to normal. She is starting to drink water when offered and is moving around. I took her out of the cage this morning to medicate her, give water, and massage her tummy, and she pooped twice. Not a big win but it made
me optimistic.

Unfortunately, pigs who have one episode of bloat are likely to have recurrences. It's something you'll always have to watch out for.

I have a few suspicions of what could have caused her bloating, and I'm hoping once she's recovered we can avoid this happening again for a very long time.

Is this safe to give? I bought this thinking it was unflavored pedialyte, is it safe to give her a llittle of it?

bpatters
01-28-17, 10:40 am
Yes, it's the same thing as Pedialyte, just cheaper.

Do put it promptly in the refrigerator after opening, and then watch it very carefully to make sure it's not molding. It can do that very quickly.

If you think you've going to have to give it for a while, you can freeze it in ice cube trays and then only thaw one or two at a time.

pouty
01-28-17, 03:03 pm
Yes, it's the same thing as Pedialyte, just cheaper.

Do put it promptly in the refrigerator after opening, and then watch it very carefully to make sure it's not molding. It can do that very quickly.

If you think you've going to have to give it for a while, you can freeze it in ice cube trays and then only thaw one or two at a time.

I had no idea!! I put it in the fridge as soon as I read this. Thank you!

I also took your advice and bought a vibrating pad from the baby aisle. My piggy tolerates it really well and usually poops a little after. Earlier I had her on it for half an hour, and she farted, pooped 5 times, and walked off my lap and started to explore the bed. I was very pleased. It's small progress but I think the vibrating pad is helping a lot.

lisa325
01-28-17, 03:30 pm
WTG Sofi!! Keep farting and pooping your way back to full health <3

sallyvh
01-28-17, 03:36 pm
I think the vibrating mats help a ton!

My parents had a full body massaging mat that they lent me when my girl had stasis. I would turn it on so only one portion was vibrating, turn it on high, put a thick towel on it, pop Margaret on and give her a little pile of hay. She didn't mind it at all, she would happily eat and she always seemed to produce more poops while on it. I would do it about 4 times a day for half an hour. It was easy because she didn't really require supervision on it so I could do other things while she hung out.

pouty
01-28-17, 04:19 pm
Update: Sofi is eating small amounts of hay and pellets, is drinking water on her own and accepting water from the syringe occasionally.

She's going up and down her ramp and spending a lot of time downstairs with the other piggies (versus sitting in a corner of the loft for hours without moving) and she is pooping when I put her on the vibrating pad I bought her.

Her vet checking her belly today and said she still has some gas, but her belly is soft and has gone down a lot. He seems very optimistic about her recovery!

We're still not 100% but I'm happy with the progress we are making.

pouty
01-28-17, 04:25 pm
WTG Sofi!! Keep farting and pooping your way back to full health <3

Sofi says thank you!!!

I think the vibrating mats help a ton!

My parents had a full body massaging mat that they lent me when my girl had stasis. I would turn it on so only one portion was vibrating, turn it on high, put a thick towel on it, pop Margaret on and give her a little pile of hay. She didn't mind it at all, she would happily eat and she always seemed to produce more poops while on it. I would do it about 4 times a day for half an hour. It was easy because she didn't really require supervision on it so I could do other things while she hung out.

Yeah I think the vibrating pad really aided the medications to do their thing. I bought a lullavibe pad (munchkin brand) and I think it's delicate enough to not hurt/annoy her, but vibrates enough to help stimulate her intestines and help move the gas along. I have her on my lap now with it and she just pooped 4 times.

Guinea Pig Papa
01-28-17, 05:12 pm
Whoever thought pooping and farting piggies would be great news! Way to go Sofi! I hope you're better soon!

Guinea Pig Papa
01-28-17, 05:13 pm
Wait a sec. Are those guinea pig slippers in that picture?

pouty
01-28-17, 06:54 pm
Whoever thought pooping and farting piggies would be great news! Way to go Sofi! I hope you're better soon!

Agreed! She was half asleep on the pad and suddenly she farted and startled herself. I just had her on the pad again actually and she pooped 8 times and peed on me. I was so proud and happy. I don't feel like we're out of the woods, but she feels well enough again to remind her cage mates that she's the alpha of the herd :) I'm starting to see my Sofi again.

Wait a sec. Are those guinea pig slippers in that picture?

Heheh I wish! Find me guinea pig slippers and i'll buy them. They're polar bear slippers. I wear them almost constantly.

pouty
01-28-17, 11:04 pm
Another update: Sofi is pooping so much now!!! And she's so happy and talkative and active. Vet said we will continue meds and treatment for another 24 hours, then begin to wean her off. I plan to continue the simethicone and lullavibe sessions for awhile to help avoid a recurrence.

lisa325
01-29-17, 02:00 pm
Excellent update :) Keep up the good work, Sofi, you can send that gas packing ;)

Guinea Pig Papa
01-29-17, 02:54 pm
I haven't found any guinea pig slippers either, but I'd look kinda silly wearing them (workboots are more my style) Great news on Sofi, It looks like I should be checking out those vibrating pads just in case. I've never had an issue with it at all in almost 7 years but better safe than sorry. I'm so glad Sofi is doing better!

pouty
01-29-17, 03:19 pm
Excellent update :) Keep up the good work, Sofi, you can send that gas packing ;)

Thank you Lisa! So far so good! I took her out of the cage this morning for some treats and water, and she pooped 8 times without any massaging or the lullavibe. She wheeks whenever i come into the room, and is chasing her cagemates and eating. Still going to continue meds and treatment.

I haven't found any guinea pig slippers either, but I'd look kinda silly wearing them (workboots are more my style) Great news on Sofi, It looks like I should be checking out those vibrating pads just in case. I've never had an issue with it at all in almost 7 years but better safe than sorry. I'm so glad Sofi is doing better!

I highly recommend it! I'm so glad you haven't had to experience it. GI stasis is so scary. I have cancelled plans with my friends and called out a shift from work to spend full days with her and have woken up in the middle of the night to check up on her. I was so terrified of her dying. I'm sure it took awhile for the meds to do their thing, but I feel like the lullavibe made the huge turn around by helping the meds do their thing mechanically.
[email protected]

I don't even want to delete that gibberish. She walked onto my keyboard and typed it out herself lol.

pouty
01-29-17, 03:34 pm

Sofi is doing well.

pouty
02-02-17, 09:50 am
Vet checked Sofi this morning, he couldn't feel any gas anywhere. He says she feels like a perfectly normal guinea pig. We are continuing half dose of her meds for a few more days. He gave approval to reintroduce more vegetables to her diet :)

Guinea Pig Papa
02-02-17, 10:04 am
Awesome news! Way to go Sofi!

kcake67
02-02-17, 11:59 am
Yay sofi! I'm so glad this story has a happy ending! Hope those veggies are tasty!

-Kcake and Batman