PDA

View Full Version : Genitals Guinea pigs penis sticking out, not going back in!

Beatrix187
01-24-17, 11:47 pm
Hi Everyone,

So I was holding Domino yesterday and noticed his penis was sticking out and wouldn't go back in. I also looked more closely at it today and it appears to be very dirty. So I did some research and you can take a cotton swab and some coconut oil and rub it on his penis to clean it. We just ran out of coconut oil I may be able to get some tomorrow but could I use olive oil instead? I just want to make sure I'm doing this right because it's up there in his private parts and I don't want to make a mistake :) He is four years old if that helps, he just turned four in December.

spy9doc
01-25-17, 07:31 am
This is not uncommon, especially in older boars. They are prone to get debris stuck in their penile sheath and can't retract the penis. You need to clean it thoroughly and can use coconut oil or I use argan oil, emu oil, or a light cooking oil such as avacado. I don't recommend oiive or mineral oil although you can use it in a pinch.

I was once in a Petco and noticed a surrendered cavy in his cage near the registers. I took him out of the cage and proceeded to clean his penis because it wouldn't retract. They still remember me at that store!

bpatters
01-25-17, 09:39 am
See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/85830-Awesome-video-on-how-to-clean-the-Anal-Sac.

You should be checking his nether regions, including the penis sheath regularly. But only clean as necessary.

Beatrix187
01-25-17, 11:30 am
Thank you lissie and bpatters, I feel much more confident with the video and knowing what oils I can use!

spy9doc
01-26-17, 11:08 am
After you have cleaned his penis and penile sheath, there is one more thing to try although Domino may not be too fond of it. His penis might be swollen from irritation. Put him on a cold pack in your lap for about 15-20 min. Then put a dab of something like K-Y Jelly on his penis and encourage it to retract.