Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps Best Ramps Around---Tell me all about them

MelissaBN

Cavy Gazer
Hi Guys,
I'm brand new to this forum. We just completed our first C&C cage this past weekend. It is a 2x5 for our two boars Choco and Polly (my little girl wanted a mommy and daddy pig so bad and I couldn't tell her the difference). I am going to start on the loft this week. I am wondering what is the best material to make a ramp? Please tell me all about your ramps and how you made them.

Thank You :)

2cocos

Cavy Slave
spy9doc, your post is very useful, thank you, but I am a little confused about the wires and the base. Is the base in fact the top part of the ramp that connects to the second floor? I think the word "base" is throwing me off, since I am not sure if it means the bottom or top of the ramp. I am assuming top from the pictures, but just want to double-check.

As for the wire, I would need a total of 12 pieces, correct (4 pieces for each side and 4 for the bottom?) Do you put these in width-wise or length-wise? I would imagine length-wise would make it stronger, but that also means that it's important to cut the coroplast in the correct direction, so that the holes run the length of the ramp? I tried to zoom-in on pictures on the website that sells these pre-made, but the stripes/holes seems to be going across rather than running the length of the ramp... That also begs the question, how do you secure the wires? If the wires are going across, then the plastic edging would keep them in place, but if they are going along the length, couldn't they fall out?

Thanks in advance for clarifying. I am not in the US, so it is much more economical for me to build my cage with supplies I can source locally.

2cocos

Cavy Slave
Is the base in fact the top part of the ramp that connects to the second floor?

No, here the "base" refers to the floor of the ramp. I now can see how that could be confusing.

As for the wire, I would need a total of 12 pieces, correct (4 pieces for each side and 4 for the bottom?) Do you put these in width-wise or length-wise?

NO. you need four long pieces (or more if you prefer). The wire is threaded through everything.....meaning what will become the floor and sides of the ramp. The coro is scored on the side not in use and folded/bent up to create the sides. The coro is cut so that the flutes run transversely (or width-wise as you put it). The wires are threaded through the squarish holes in the coro and in the final step, are bent to a right angle. Note the caveat to put the plastic binder pieces on the edges of the coro BEFORE bending them (much easier to work with this way).

Insofar as the wire is concerned, the straight part of a wire coathanger is really the best wire to use and it's a great way to recycle the wire from the hangers that come from the cleaners.

Got it! Thanks so much for the clarification. I hadn't understood that the 4 wires are bent with the coro.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.