PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my guinea pig

Kelter27
01-17-17, 09:18 am
Hi im new and have had a guinea pig for a year. It is actually my 6 year old daughters which she is very good too and loves very much. She had a friend over and her friend she told me was a little rough with the piggy. For the past two days since her friend came over, the piggy has not been as active or as sensitive to touch. She is usually a little more jumpy when we pet her back. Slowly she seems to be coming out of it and is getting more interactive, etc. She is eating and drinking and otherwise normal. I am angry at myself for not supervising better but am pretty worried. I'm just wondering if she could really be hurt or maybe just a little shy since her friend was rough. We made a new guinea pig rule with friends that I have to be holding her or right there but still worrisome...

sherri86
01-17-17, 10:01 am
Hi im new and have had a guinea pig for a year. It is actually my 6 year old daughters which she is very good too and loves very much. She had a friend over and her friend she told me was a little rough with the piggy. For the past two days since her friend came over, the piggy has not been as active or as sensitive to touch. She is usually a little more jumpy when we pet her back. Slowly she seems to be coming out of it and is getting more interactive, etc. She is eating and drinking and otherwise normal. I am angry at myself for not supervising better but am pretty worried. I'm just wondering if she could really be hurt or maybe just a little shy since her friend was rough. We made a new guinea pig rule with friends that I have to be holding her or right there but still worrisome...

Guinea pigs are prey animals so they hide their injuries/illness sometimes until it is too late. I would take her to an exotic vet and get an exam, they only cost around $60. Better to be safe then sorry. Please don't take this the wrong way, you know your daughter better than me, but to me 6 is very young to be unsupervised at anytime the pig is being handled.
I hope your Pig is okay, please keep us updated

Kelter27
01-17-17, 10:04 am
Guinea pigs are prey animals so they hide their injuries/illness sometimes until it is too late. I would take her to an exotic vet and get an exam, they only cost around $60. Better to be safe then sorry. Please don't take this the wrong way, you know your daughter better than me, but to me 6 is very young to be unsupervised at anytime the pig is being handled.
I hope your Pig is okay, please keep us updated

Thank you, I am not offended, I do regret that. What do you think could be wrong with those symptoms?

sherri86
01-17-17, 10:41 am
It is hard to say, possible internal injuries.. I really hope the pig is just gun shy after being handled rough, just keep a watch and if she does not get any better I would take her to the vet