Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage What to do with bored pigs while I wait for the big cage to come?

smolpig

Cavy Slave
I ordered the Midwest off of amazon, but I' not going to bore you with why I came to that choice. Right now, my pigs are in the National Geograpic Guinea Pig Dome Cage. ("Offers a large space with two living levels so your guinea pig has lots of room to run and play." yeah right.) One of them has been living in there for about three months and one maybe three weeks. They seem to be at their wits end with the small space. They aren't fighting.

They chew the bars, they eat, sleep, repeat. I take them out for floortime and they live for it. They are extremely bored and seem to just hate living in there more than ever. Are they going to be okay for the next 5-6 days it takes for the big cage to come here? What can I do other than keep moving the cage around to different areas and fit the smallest toys in their cage? The oldest pig has gotten so fed up with this if I try to put him back in his cage he bites me. I don't blame him. It's a dreary, mind-numbing existence.

It's killing me to wait this long for the cage to come. I want to know what I can do to make them less bored, and I'll be greatful for any help. lol

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Make a playpen for them to run around in :) Leave them in it with hay and food and water for however long they want to be in there :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A box of grids should be arouond $20, give or take. Zip tie them together in a long chain, and then arrange to suit the space you've got.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
You can make a playpen out of large priority boxes. Just stop by your local post office and ask for a few boxes. Personally, I think the large ones (the ones that are really narrow/flat) are best as they turn out to be really tall once you cut them in one of the corners (sorry, I know it sounds confusing). I mainly use it for floortime, but it can be good as a temporary cage :) Just set it up wherever you can, add a litterbox with hay/hayrack, some tunnels or hideys, and then add something to line the floor like an old blanket with a few towels. It should be a decent cage alternative until the new cage arrives :)

Good luck!

Attachments

IMG_6032.jpg IMG_6033.jpg IMG_6034.jpg IMG_6035.jpg IMG_6036.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.