Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size 6X6 for 5?

LLRpigmomma

Cavy Gazer
Hey! Brand new to Guinea pigs and have found myself with 5 babies that were in horrible conditions prior. I want them to have the absolute best possible right now and I'm honestly not sure on sizing right now I'm using a cage that would be equivalent to a 6X6 grid is this enough space for the moment? I'm so excited to learn and dive into the world just want to make sure I have sizing right before diving into sewing their bedding ;)

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
A 2x7 is the size needed for 5 quinea pigs so if you have them in a 6 x6 grid then that should be more then big enough.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A 6x6 is huge, but if it's in a square configuration, it'll take a ton of bedding and it'll be hard to catch a pig in it. I'd suggest a 2 or 3 x something long rather than a square.

Have you confirmed that they're all the same sex? If not, they can breed at about four weeks of age. The males are potent before the females can get pregnant.

LLRpigmomma

Cavy Gazer
Perfect thank you! I feel like I have size comparison issues, I have bunnies that free range and then have a 100sqft closet "bedroom" for at night or when I'm away for an extended time. So I'm used to bigger requirements ha!

LLRpigmomma

Cavy Gazer
A 6x6 is huge, but if it's in a square configuration, it'll take a ton of bedding and it'll be hard to catch a pig in it. I'd suggest a 2 or 3 x something long rather than a square.

Have you confirmed that they're all the same sex? If not, they can breed at about four weeks of age. The males are potent before the females can get pregnant.

We we have already had the fun catching time and have a semi system �� I'm going to be making the bedding so it will be far cheaper and reusable so only cost at the beginning! They have technically been but will be getting a vet sexing next week at which point we will build another cage on the other side of the room if it's needed :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.