PDA

View Full Version : Stones Urethral stone :(

SandyPig
12-20-16, 03:23 pm
Our 6 1/2 year old piggie has been having blood in her urine lately. Just got home from the vet. She has a very large stone in the urethra. Vet said the only option is major surgery-- cystotomy-- to remove it. I wonder why it can't be removed transurethrally under sedation? She was covering for our usual (more experienced) vet and they are going to discuss the case and get back to me.
Anyone have experience with this? Can an older pig like this tolerate the stress of surgery?
She just lost her cagemate about a month ago. So far she is eating normally and doesn't seem too uncomfortable.

jaycriae
12-20-16, 03:28 pm
Whether she can tolerate the surgery entirely depends on her health and the procedure, the biggest risk is typically the anesthesia. Definitely talk to your usual vet about the risks and possible procedures.

It's hard to tell how uncomfortable a guinea pig really is based on watching them, they hide pain so well. I'd definitely at least get pain medication if you don't go for the surgery.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters
12-20-16, 03:47 pm
A stone in the urethra? And it's not completely blocking the flow of urine? If it's truly in the urethra, I'd think there would be a chance of manipulating it out without surgery.

If it's in the ureter, rather than the urethra, that's a whole other ball game. Pigs don't generally do well with surgery to a ureter, and at her age, I'd be inclined to let her go.

SandyPig
12-23-16, 03:15 pm
They got it out! Poor little piggy. She is home now, recovering. It was huge, must have been so painful.
She is very doped up and sleepy. I hand fed her and she ate, but now in her cage she is just lying there resting. How often do I need to hand feed if she's not eating on her own?

bpatters
12-23-16, 03:33 pm
You can feed her every 3-4 four hours, aiming for about 15-20 cc. each time. She may perk up and start eating as soon as the anesthetic wears off.

But the rule of thumb for hand-feeding guinea pigs is that a pig that is not eating anything at all needs 100-120 cc. of Critical Care or pellet mush every 24 hours for every kilogram it weighs, evenly spread out in 6-8 feedings. If the pig is eating some, you can adjust that downward. The most important thing is to keep something moving through the gut at all times.

SandyPig
12-23-16, 03:52 pm
She doesn't want to eat her hay but she will eat vegetables. Is there a limit on how much lettuce/peppers I should give her? She seems to have an appetite for that.

bpatters
12-23-16, 08:10 pm
Don't overdo the veggies. You can give her a major digestive upset. Far better to supplement with some Critical Care or pellet slurry than to give too many vegetables.

SandyPig
12-23-16, 09:39 pm
After she rested a while I picked her up. She was so bloated! And she had not been poo-ing in her cage. I gave her pellet slurry and a tummy massage, and she made a TON of poo right on the towel. I'm glad I learned about stasis on this site, I wouldn't have really thought about it. She seemed to deflate and feel better after that but she's still very droopy. I'm a little afraid about her getting through the night. She is an older piggie, and a little fragile.
Wish us luck.

SandyPig
12-24-16, 10:33 am
She looks a little better this morning, but not back to normal yet. Very quiet and just wants to hide. All she wants to eat is lettuce, which she eats with enthusiasm. But she's neglecting her hay. Any advice? Thanks!

bpatters
12-24-16, 10:49 am
Keep up with either the pellet slurry or Critical Care until she's eating hay again.

jaycriae
12-24-16, 11:49 am
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk